HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   West (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west-28/)
-   -   Public land mule deer hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west/342787-public-land-mule-deer-hunting.html)

Mike VA Hunter 03-30-2011 11:44 AM

Public land mule deer hunting

I have never been out west to hunt. Does anybody have any suggestions on where to go for mule deer on public land?

Wheatley 03-30-2011 11:48 AM

Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, Utah??? Each state has multiple opportunities but different ways to obtain licenses. Look into that and narrow the state down and work from there.

Mike VA Hunter 03-30-2011 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Wheatley (Post 3793038)
Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, Utah??? Each state has multiple opportunities but different ways to obtain licenses. Look into that and narrow the state down and work from there.

Thanks!
I'm trying to go as cheap as possible. I was hoping to find a state that I can get a tag over-the counter. I heard Utah has some quality bucks there

bchunts 03-30-2011 12:27 PM

Mike, you can come to western Nebraska. Tags over the counter fairly cheap and lots of public land out west. Check out Nebraska games and parks for info and Maps.

Silver_Wolf 03-31-2011 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mike VA Hunter (Post 3793048)
Thanks!
I'm trying to go as cheap as possible. I was hoping to find a state that I can get a tag over-the counter. I heard Utah has some quality bucks there

Colorado is Drawing only. Some units may have leftover tags, but usually not the quality units. Tag will run you $344.

Wheatley 03-31-2011 07:42 PM

Nebraska will be the cheapest tags as well. When I lived there a few years ago they were $165 versus the $300-$400 for the surrounding states. Utah has some monster mule deer as well. I jumped a 30 to 33" wide buck along with another monster that was heavy and stickers all over last year in Wyoming as well. I think all states out here have them you just have to be in the right place at the right time.

Rob in VT 04-01-2011 06:13 AM

What are some of the areas in Nebraska where you would encounter both mulies and whitetails? Is there public land in those areas?

In general, what is the quantity and quality of animals seen on public land in NE?

Thanks for any info!

Wheatley 04-01-2011 07:46 AM

A buddy of mine was saying something about a restriction on Mule deer hunting in Nebraska so you may want to look into that. I am not sure if it is just the area where he lives or what. I have seen monster whitetail on public land in Nebraska. Not very many mule deer though I did see some here and there. This was around Lake McConaughy when it was down low. I hear the hunting is not very good now that it is back up to a high level. There used to be brush galore out there and now it is all under water. Up around Chadron I believe is where you find the most mule deer in the state.

map1 04-14-2011 08:27 AM

I've hunted some in the NW part of Nebraska, public land there you will be hard pressed to find a big mulie buck, plus it gets hunted hard. Better hitting the mountains of CO,WY, ID, etc....

hogmaster06 05-19-2011 04:41 PM

one of few places people over look is the state of new mexico,weve got reasonable hunts here so please check out new mexico and all its hunting opportunities