Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
Public land mule deer hunting >

Public land mule deer hunting

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Public land mule deer hunting

Old 05-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

We have hunted unit 161 in routt national forest in Colorado in 2004, 06, 08 & 10. We hunted Elk but saw many mule deer and several shooters. Colorado is an all draw state for mule deer and time to submit applications for 2011 has passed. However you can check in late july for the leftover list. Some units are not so hot so there are leftover tags. If there are any for 161 I would for sure suggest there.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:26 PM
Fork Horn

I been seeing a lot of mulies and some Elk in CO GMUs 511, 501 and 51 while fishing this year. A lot of the area I been seeing them is in Pike National forest.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:34 PM
Fork Horn

You can get over the counter archery tags in AZ for most of the state.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Spike

New Mexico does have some great mule deer hunting. You can get tags pretty easily if you are a bowhunter. The rifle tags in the best areas can be tough to draw though.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:32 AM
Spike

Id go with MT or WY.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Spike

Unless things have changed with in the last year or two, Nebraska over the counter tags are archery or black powder, gun has alway been drawings in assigned hunting areas. The National Forest and Nat. Grasslands out by Fort Robinson on Hwy 20 has alway been a good area for mule deer and antelopes in Nebraska.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:19 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bchunts
Mike, you can come to western Nebraska. Tags over the counter fairly cheap and lots of public land out west. Check out Nebraska games and parks for info and Maps.
I'm looking for a cheap muledeer hunt. Me and a buddy want to spend a week hunting on public land but have rarely left Minnesota. We are looking for over the counter tags early Oct 2011 archery. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you
Old 08-25-2011, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Region Y in Wyoming still has leftover buck tags and if you also buy the $30 nonresident archery permit you can hunt with your bow the entire month of September. The rifle seasons are in October.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by shooterbuckmn
I'm looking for a cheap muledeer hunt. Me and a buddy want to spend a week hunting on public land but have rarely left Minnesota. We are looking for over the counter tags early Oct 2011 archery. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you
Tags are over the counter, lots of public land out west near Chadron, check out Fort Robbinson, Pine Ridge, grass lands etc. Lots of land to hunt out there. You can stay at the campsite at Fort Robbinson for pretty cheap(most camp sites have electricity, showers etc.) or get a motel in Chadron. You should have fun doing some spot and stalk on deer, it won't be easy but it's fun.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Spike

Bang for the buck, NM by a long shot they've got some bruisers running around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.