Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
Public land mule deer hunting >

Public land mule deer hunting

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Public land mule deer hunting

Old 10-22-2011, 06:01 AM
Typical Buck

I can offer some advice. Do not hunt the Bridger Nat. or the Caribou Nat forest in Idaho or Wyoming. They got hit with allot of snow in the past 2 years and the deer heard is down 80%. Still some big mulies left but the local hunting pressure will make you wanna puke! And don't listen to that "get way in the back country" crap because when the hunting is hard close to the roads hunters move back farther and farther. Sometimes coming back with horses where the ATV trails end miles back. SE wyo has some nice bucks as well as region R in the Big Horns in Wyo and pressure is down a little. I would plan my hunt by scouring the Web and look for a rancher that is willing to let you hunt on his private ranch for an access fee. Say 1500 or so depending on the area. The other thing that some don't understand is that 90% of the time the ONLY tags that are hard to draw are the ones with GOOD LIMITED HUNTING ON PUBLIC LANDS. All the private ones are good drawing odds. Now there are exceptions to the rule like Wyo's $485 dollar rape me deer tag. Which they say puts you in a different drawing than the $285 tag (what a crock).

OK, now the biggest secret of all. DO NOT GO OPENING WEEK! Why you ask? Because the local hunting pressure that will be non-existent the next week and the fact that the deer start going back to normal patterns around the the 5th-6th day of the opener (on public land that is) So resist the urge to be there on the opening day. Also another biggie is if you can wait till the mountains have snow in the higher elevations. I mean 12''+ if you are hunting the foot hills of the bigger mountains.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you ever decide to come to Colorado like your sig says. Make it worth your while, and hunt for elk. The tags are much easier to get, and I find it much easier to get an elk over a mature muley buck.

Whatever you decide. Good luck.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
If you ever decide to come to Colorado like your sig says. Make it worth your while, and hunt for elk. The tags are much easier to get, and I find it much easier to get an elk over a mature muley buck.

Whatever you decide. Good luck.
I would have to agree. Unless you do a combo mule deer are way harder to hunt. Now elk, I could have shot more bulls scoring between 200-275 than you could shake a stick at! Saw a hundred head of elk in one day!