HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   West (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west-28/)
-   -   Southeran California Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west/338793-southeran-california-hunting.html)

razorshooter 01-21-2011 09:44 AM

Southeran California Hunting

Looking to start my 12 year old son out on Hunting he passed the safety course with flyin colors and we need to get out and walk the fields/Forest/Deserts. Any ideas on were in SoCal I could take my boy for some small Mammel and/or Bird hunting? I am in Orange County.

Any help with Public lands would be nice and I do not mind joinin a local hunting club if there is one.

thanks

crenshaw 01-21-2011 10:11 AM

Dont live in Cali anymore and when i did i mostly hunted big game, unless you duck hunt up north, but for birds id go to a game farm you might get some good information, but at least at a quail farm your boy will get the hang of it, and it will increase his drive for hunting.

This should help

http://www.gamebirdhunts.com/Hunting...2/Default.aspx

Escopeton 01-22-2011 05:52 AM

Hey Razor,

First, congratulations to you for starting your son in the way of life. At one time, I lived in OC, too.

Many of the places that I used to hunt may now be huge urbanizations - but, I will do my best with my memory. For rabbits, I used to go to the area below Silverwood Lake; tons of cottontails but watch out for Mojave Greens. There is some chuker on the foothills NE of Big Bear. Further up north along the Coast in the foothills Santa Maria (San Pedro Nat. Forest?), I used to see quail. Dove can be found over the mountains in the high desert (scout, and scout some more). Pheasants used to be around Salton Sea. Check out the Fish And Game website, they used to have some information on it. Good luck in your hunting.

camelcluch 01-22-2011 02:51 PM

Wister and Salton Sea for ducks, The National Forest's have hunting for all types of critters. Out by Blythe you will find great ducks, quail and dove. PM sent to you...

Widgeonator 03-28-2011 10:54 AM

deer hunting and coyote hunting, check out jamul and julian. turkeys in julian if you know whats public land. camel was right. salton sea and wister great for ducks/geese. hunt off lack rd near the south/east bottom corner of the salton sea for great dove and pheasant in the alphalpha fields. im a resident in socal (san diego) and have plenty of hunting opportunity. also check out cleveland national forest for deer/coyote/bobcat/turkeys/dove/quail. just make sure to get a map and see whats private land and indian reservation

SFSmedic 04-29-2011 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Widgeonator (Post 3792203)
deer hunting and coyote hunting, check out jamul and julian. turkeys in julian if you know whats public land. camel was right. salton sea and wister great for ducks/geese. hunt off lack rd near the south/east bottom corner of the salton sea for great dove and pheasant in the alphalpha fields. im a resident in socal (san diego) and have plenty of hunting opportunity. also check out cleveland national forest for deer/coyote/bobcat/turkeys/dove/quail. just make sure to get a map and see whats private land and indian reservation

Where do you get such maps, so you can ensure you are hunting on public land where it is allowed?

Originally Posted by razorshooter (Post 3761425)
Looking to start my 12 year old son out on Hunting he passed the safety course with flyin colors and we need to get out and walk the fields/Forest/Deserts. Any ideas on were in SoCal I could take my boy for some small Mammel and/or Bird hunting? I am in Orange County.

Any help with Public lands would be nice and I do not mind joinin a local hunting club if there is one.

thanks

OP there are also some great places like Fort Hunter Ligget which are very inexpensive and only a few hours away. I am currently in the same boat as you, new hunter in the OC Sorta (one offramp out of OC, lol) and trying to find my way hunting.

beardog 836 11-15-2011 07:09 AM

If u want to take ur boy hunting let's go I live in Bakersfield pm me.

Muley Hunter 11-18-2011 06:57 AM

Try Big Bear.