West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Western Colorado

Old 12-17-2010, 05:10 AM
Typical Buck

Try South Dakota

Dakota Ranch Outfitters with PAT WEST
Old 01-26-2011, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I assume you mean the 2nd Rifle season as I believe the 1st Rifle season is elk only. Lots of public land in the San Juans. Doubt you will draw a deer tag this year, but you can get an OTC bull tag for the 2nd season.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

get yourself a "Colorado Atlas", they're red in color, those will show much of the public land...
Old 02-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Spike

For your wilderness hunt info check out www.publiclandforthepoorman.com and with scouting effort you will find a nice buck. The website will be a good guide in what you will need to hunt the wilderness. If you dont draw deer you should hunt elk over the counter. Elk hunting is awsome and much more thrilling in my openion.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

You'll go crazy trying to figure this out yourself.

Here's the direct phone number to Ray. He works at the Denver DOW office. You tell him exactly what you want to do, and he'll tell you where you can hunt with no points, and the best chance you'll have of getting game. He's a nice guy and loves to help. He'll even help you fill out the applications.

303 291-7686

Good luck on your hunt.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Spike

Default Info

What size of deer are you looking for? What season? How many points do you have? Let me know these and I can get you some info.

Sean
[email protected]
Old 03-16-2011, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a good resource: http://huntodds.monstermuleys.com/

Just put in deer and nonresident and leave everything else blank. That will bring up all the hunts and the odds of drawing. Lots of units can be drawn with 0 points.

The areas around meeker have been referred to as the "deer factory". Southwest Colorado is good too if you can draw. The unit in near Cortez that was recommended has a 52% draw rate with 0 points.

As stated, the "first rifle" season is elk only. The first rifle season for deer is referred to as the 2nd rifle season.

So for deer, you can hunt archery, muzzleloading, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rifle seasons. For most units, archery and the 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons, there are OTC elk hunters in the woods.

You can put in as individuals or as a group, but if you only want to go if everyone is drawn you should put in as a group. That way either you all draw or no one draws.

Any deer unit in Colorado has big bucks in it.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:31 PM
Spike

Cool. I'm trying to go out west for muleys to. I have checked into Idaho, Montana, Colarodo, & Wyoming. So what made you pick Colarodo?
Old 04-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is what made me choose Colorado. . .

Old 04-08-2011, 04:35 AM
Typical Buck

Rob that deer in your photo's has about a 19" inside spread and about a 23" max spread maybe could push 24" just don't see it. I'm pointing this out so you know what your looking at in the field. The very bottom picture shows both ears extended in the alert position which is right around 22" ear tip to ear tip. It's not like you have a measuring stick in the field but it's helpful. When the main beam extends beyond the ears before the antler starts up then you got a nice shooter. There's some good bucks in Colorado be patient.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.