Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
M-O-N-T-A-N-A, here we come !!!!! >

M-O-N-T-A-N-A, here we come !!!!!

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

M-O-N-T-A-N-A, here we come !!!!!

Old 10-14-2010, 04:26 AM
Spike

Default M-O-N-T-A-N-A, here we come !!!!!

We're packing up over the weekend for a Monday departure. Vehicles all gassed/oiled/air pressured/etc... Still doing the "Beaver DP" followed by the 350DRW/enclosed bumper pull (loaded with "equipment")..... Latest addition is one additional hunter (making 6 total)...... Plan on non-stop trip, alternating drivers @ 4 hours, 2500 miles/40 hours...... Does anyone know of any MAJOR construction/detour/etc between New York (Syracuse area) and Havre, Montana? We plan on using I90 between Syracuse and Chicago, maybe using I271 around Cleveland. Then on I80 out of Chicago to I39 @ LaSalle, Ill....... North on I39 and I94 to Madison and Tomah. I94 the rest of the way West, except around Mpls/St Paul we may jump onto 494...... Prior knowledge of any MAJOR disturbances would be appreciated. Of course, we plan on keeping "Breaker-Breaker-19" in the "ON" position and talking to the 18-ers....... Wish us luck........... Head em up, move em out, Montana here we come !!!!
Old 11-21-2010, 01:16 PM
Spike

Hope you had no luck! But, thanks for your purchase of an out-of-state tag.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

Whatever. Dont forget its those out of staters that are paying most the bills for FWP. Would you like some drastic increases in resident licenses and fees? Didn't think so.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:28 AM
Spike

I initially re-opened this thread to add a comment or two about some of the humorous and some not so humorous FUBAR's, SNAFU's, and episodes from our trip. THEN I read the replies. I was NOT going to respond to "clouded logic" but then I thought that a "shot across the bow" might be appropriate

Ya know, I kinda resent being called an "out of stater" with the negative connotations insinuated by some Big Sky residents. I suppose "technically" I am in that category, but just for the record let it be known that I have lived/worked in Fort Peck, Chinook, Havre, Shelby, and Great Falls. AND, I have family that still resides there, still works there, and owns property there. I moved to NY (NOT the City) because of family health issues.

IMO, Montana has some "screwed up" laws concerning residents, non-residents, guides, outfitters, and out of state property owners. BUT, that is their problem to get sorted out. In the meantime, I'll just pay the bucks and enjoy visiting family and the hunting.

I will NOT sink low enough to wish bad luck on any sportsman/woman visiting out of their resident home state, even though I think the $ disparity between residents/non-residents licenses needs to be addressed.

As far as "how was our luck".......... I guess I should just mention the fact that I just took some elk steaks from the freezer for dinner tonight and had Muley-Stewy for lunch yesterday!!!!! Not to rub salt in a wound (want to save all the salt I can for next years trip to treat/preserve hides) the count was 5 deer and 2 elk !!!!!!
Old 12-07-2010, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

An interesting dynamic, this one of resident and nonresident hunters....

First, it's just a little bit sad that hospitality has been reduced to wishing "no luck" to another hunter.

My own experiences are tending toward the opposite. I do see more hunters on my home range anymore, but the friendlier ones are almost without exception the nonresidents. And, most of them seem to demonstrate a knowledge of the area and the terrain that comes only from years of walking it.

And then there are the residents. Anymore, especially during general seasons, they choke the roads as they scour the borrow ditches for deer, they throw you a scowl when you drive around them, as if you'd just wrecked their chance to shoot a monster buck like they see the hosts on the Outdoor Channel TV shows do. And they complain about the nonresidents - almost as if they're to blame for roadhunting not being as productive as they'd like. Just because you're a resident doesn't mean it should be easier for you. If it's any consolation, those kind of resident hunters are just as friendly toward other residents as they are toward nonresidents.

But maybe those high tag fees have another consequence? Just maybe - those nonresidents, having a considerable sum invested in tags and travel and with more at stake, hunt harder and hunt better than many of the residents? JMHO - it sure seems like the residents are tending more to behave more like amateurs or novices than the nonresidents.

Just a thought. Congrats on your hunt.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Spike

Interesting comments and perspective !!!!! Road hunting NEVER has appealed to me, whether resident or non-resident. I'd much rather walk the terrain til tired, then find a friendly tree and take a snooze !!!
Incidentally, are there any "snooze trees" in Wy ?????
Old 12-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

OK, should have said non-resident. And BTW, I have never wished bad luck on any non-resident hunter, in fact, give all the help I can to them, I would really rather have them be successful so they come back and spend more money, Hardly ever see them come to region 1 anyway.

Last edited by MTdrahthaar; 12-07-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by razu13612
Interesting comments and perspective !!!!! Road hunting NEVER has appealed to me, whether resident or non-resident. I'd much rather walk the terrain til tired, then find a friendly tree and take a snooze !!!
Incidentally, are there any "snooze trees" in Wy ?????
Oh, I have a few favorites. But I'm not too keen on sharing those!

MTDrahthaar: Apologies - my comment above wasn't directed toward you.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:50 AM
Spike

My statement about "snooze trees" was NOT about soliciting Wy hunting areas, but more along the lines of a humorous antecedent........... If you don't want to reveal "snooze tree" locations, thats just fine........ Any "pun (NOT pine) trees??????

Regardless of all things considered, I (and the other 5 in our group) think we will stick to our plans on returning to Mt......... Hunting is EXCELLENT, Lotza land (private and BLM), EXCELLENT set-up for RV, weather is tolerable (most of the time), company (friends & family) is SUPER, AND the beers cold !!!!!
Old 03-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Spike

That was the worst comment I have ever heard from a hunter. People like that have ruined our sport. I might pack up & head out there to hunt this year just to prove a point. This is the the good ol USA a place where people are FREE to do as they please! (as long as you are obeying the law of course)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.