Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
is baiting deer/elk illegal in oregon? >

is baiting deer/elk illegal in oregon?

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

is baiting deer/elk illegal in oregon?

Old 05-08-2011, 06:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think I bashed anybody. I just gave my opinion, and i'll stick by it.

For me it's all about the hunt. Not an easy kill.

Tree huggers watch TV hunting shows, and see tree stands and bait as the only way we hunt. No wonder they get pissed off.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:17 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I don't think I bashed anybody. I just gave my opinion, and i'll stick by it.

For me it's all about the hunt. Not an easy kill.

Tree huggers watch TV hunting shows, and see tree stands and bait as the only way we hunt. No wonder they get pissed off.
Dude, i'm not trying to bust yer balls on this subject mostly because i used to have a very similar opinion. The cool thing about these forums and also the chat rooms is that even guys like me that have well over 30 years of hunting experience can learn some things.

Baiting is one of the areas that i have learned is pretty much a must in alot of areas in this country. There are a whole lot of hunters out there that aren't blessed the way you and I are. I CO, and MT we have huge chunks of public land and relatively long seasons with out a lot of BS regulations. Some of the guys in here pay thousands of dollars to lease 5,10,or 100 acres to hunt on for the few days a year. We get to hunt 7 days a week, from sun up to sun down, and some folks here only get to hunt Mon-Sat and until early afternoon.

We get out in the mtns and get bummed if we see another hunter hunting the same chunk of millions of acres that day as us, these other guys can sit in their stands and give hand signals to half a dozen or more hunters hunting over the same food plot. With their strict regulations, number of hunters per acre, and limited time to hunt, baiting is the only way some of these guys ever even get a shot at a critter. Now i'm not saying that is the case for Oregon, i've been to Oregon and it looks as wide open as most of the states out west, if baiting and waiting is the best method for these guys to hunt, then i say good luck and enjoy, but like you, baiting and waiting isn't my game, and i feel the best way to truely enjoy the entire hunting experience is the spot and stalk!! It's cool that we have this medium to discuss our methods or differences, the important thing is to embrace or heritage, encourage others to participate, and pass it on to the next generation.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was taught to hunt 60 years ago by my dad. You don't have to guess how he taught me to hunt by my attitude.

I understand that spot and stalk, or still hunting may not be popular in some parts of the country. However, I feel too many use tree stands, because it's easy, and they could use other methods. A tree stand combined with bait seems like it would be no challenge at all. I'd like to see some of them doing it try something else. They might love stalking an animal.

I didn't always live in Colorado. I was born and brought up in Mass. Lots of tree stands there, but me and my dad would always still hunt, and we got our deer every year. I carried over the method everywhere i've hunted since. I would freeze to death sitting in a stand. I don't know how guys do it. I hike and scout everyday of the year. It keeps me in shape, and is very enjoyable. It's still like hunting, but without the gun. I still try and get as close to the game as possible during the off season.

If i was a stand hunter what would I do. Go sit in a tree all day? Ok, that was a joke, but you see what I mean. getting out and hiking is fun. Hunting should be too.

I like to give the game a chance. Elk or deer I like to come down to it's level. Let it use all it's senses to spot me. I have to use all my abilities to fool it and get close. For me. That's hunting.

I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I'm just passionate about my method, and want others to try it to see how much fun it is. It's not always the kill guys. Getting it should be a big part of the experience too.

I'll shut up now.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Spike

try sneaking up on your bear,mt lion, big muley, elk, whitetail, etc with a bow. i have-except for mt lion. i thing it's kinda low to nail em at 300 yds with a rifle.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by eyeball2
try sneaking up on your bear,mt lion, big muley, elk, whitetail, etc with a bow. i have-except for mt lion. i thing it's kinda low to nail em at 300 yds with a rifle.
Elk and muleys are what I hunt with a muzzleloader. Shots not much longer than your bow.

Mountain lion. No way. You don't sneak up on them.