Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

MT question

Old 10-22-2009, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default MT question

I'm going to tag along with my buddy who lives in MT during his elk hunt in unit 320 since I didn't draw a tag and have never been to MT. He told me I could carry a rifle and shoot predators without any type of license....is this true? If so, other than coyotes, what does MT consider a "predator"? I didn't want to assume he was correct and end up with a violation. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Spike

Just go online and look at the regs....why take someones word for it? Get it in black and white. Remember, they (GW) dont care if if your buddy told you something, you as a hunter have the responsibilty to know the rules. If your buddy is wrong, he will cite you...not your buddy.

I go to alot of different states to hunt and there is no way to keep up with all the regs from year to year as they seem to change a little bit all the time. I always read over and double check just to make sure I don't get myself into trouble. I never take the locals, outfitters, etc..final word..I got to see it in print. It has served me well several times as I have found even some of the GW were not even up to date.

Good luck and happy hunting
Old 10-23-2009, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Read the regs. In some states it is legal but sometimes it has to be a rimfire cartridge. I know in nebraska you have to have rimfire only cartridges when rifle season is open to hunt predators.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have the regs in front of me, but I know for a fact my buddy bought some sort of general hunting license when we accompanied me on a MT elk hunt last year.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Again, go back to the regulations - find out from the source, not second-hand.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:27 AM
Fork Horn

I do intend to read the regs before I leave, however I figured this would be an easy question for a MT resident to answer....which none of you appear to be. Thanks for the "help".
Old 11-02-2009, 07:54 AM
Spike

you can hunt predetors year round, but its gonna be tough to convince anyone that is what your doing, especiall during hunting season and because your buddy is hunting big game. a fine could exceed over 30k.
I would not carry a rifle unless you plan on getting a big fine. A pistol is all I would risk taking in the trees. Game wardens are cracking down across our state and wardens love to bust out of state violaters. We have a 800 number to report violations and if the person is ticketed or arrested, we can receive a $1000 dollar award. (I'm expecting my reward for reporting Wisconsin hunters for hunting on private property opening day)
I would even worry about taking a bb gun into the trees.

Here in Montana we have no "general hunting license" you buy a specific tag for the animal and area you want it for.

And don't expect other hunters to want to help ya out when your here if you have out of state tags. I would rent a truck.

Like our state moto says "Welcome to Montana, now get out!"

hope this "helped", let me know if ya have anyother questions.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:15 AM
Spike

320 is by virgina city if i remember right. its beautiful country and BIG bulls! Your pretty close to Yellowstone Park, its worth the trip if you have never been there before.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks cloud, that was my concern as well, but you can't charge a person with a crime/violation if one was not committed. It's not illegal to carry a rifle into the mountains just because you don't have a big game tag...suspicious yes. I just feel more comfortable with a firearm I guess, but don't need the hassles that I forsee. Thanks for the advice about being a NR, I expect that about anywhere out West....only takes a few NR's to give all a bad name. I'm looking forward to it, thanks.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes you are legal as a non resident to go predator hunting in Mt. Get yourself a varmint call and have fun and don't worry about a damn thing. I've even called the coyotes in squealing on my cow call.

Bobby

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.