Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
Backcountry Elk Hunting >

Backcountry Elk Hunting

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Backcountry Elk Hunting

Old 08-26-2009, 05:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default Backcountry Elk Hunting

I am heading out west to hunt elk in september of 2010 I know I am a little early but I want to be prepared. I am packing in for 13 days and have done some research. I am just wondering how long and what some of you take on these kinds of trips
Old 08-26-2009, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you packing in by backpack or with horses? For 13 days I would guess horses but just curious. Make sure you have a good firestarter fuel of somesort and matches/lighter. You never know what the weather will be doing. Warm sleeping gear, clothing, raingear. Snacks that will keep your energy supply up. Hiking up and down those mountains is very tiring. I also bring along a GPS and extra batteries. Knives, rope, TP, ETC.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:02 AM
Typical Buck

on foot and backpack
Old 08-26-2009, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kinda depends on where 'out west is'.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

Idaho in the frank church wilderness area
Old 08-29-2009, 06:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by buffhntr
Idaho in the frank church wilderness area
I back pack hunt here in Montana, do you have any prior history with extended back country stays in the rockies? Man, 13 days is quit a lot of time in for a back pack hunt, what is your schedule like? How many actual days in? I'm thinking you are going to need at least two trips in with food requirments.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Muley669
I back pack hunt here in Montana, do you have any prior history with extended back country stays in the rockies? Man, 13 days is quit a lot of time in for a back pack hunt, what is your schedule like? How many actual days in? I'm thinking you are going to need at least two trips in with food requirments.
I agree 13 days is a long time. I have to believe that you are experienced with this type of hunting to go in for that amount of time. Stay hydrated.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

How are you planning on getting an elk out once it is down? Take care how far back you are hunting if you don't have a packer lined up.

Most completely underestimate what it takes to pack an elk out on their back until they have done it. Realistically, if you are in good shape, strong, have endurance, and don't have any feet, knee, or hip problems, you can bone the average elk and pack it in three loads. Some might pull off two, but in steep country you stand to do some back or joint damage. In an early season hunt, you will have time limitations in terms of temperatures and possible loss of meat.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:08 AM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-18-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ron Duval
Great comment. I had a buddy that lost half of the meat from a big bull because he couldn't get it out quickly enough.
Thats because your buddy didn't know what he was doing. Your goal shouldn't be to "get it out quickly", thats novice mentality. Your goal should be to cool the meat quickly. That is your #1 priorty, get the meat cooled, then get it out.
As to the OP there is a few things to know if you are from out of state, inexpierenced, and planning on 13 days in the back country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.