Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Need help with CO applications.... >

Need help with CO applications....

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Need help with CO applications....

Old 04-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Spike

Default Need help with CO applications....

Me and the wife are looking to put in for Elk and Deer this year, and the application cutoff is 7 April.

We haven't hunted in CO as we just moved here last year, and not sure on the best way to approach the applications. We have hunted in Wy, and SD for Whitetail and Antelope with good luck.

We still are unsure of where to hunt, and will continue the informations search. We are from Colorado Springs, and have a camper to camp in while hunting. We do not have wheelers yet, so walking in or jeep trails is the best we can do for now. Probably rifle and 1st season.

Any tricks to the trade?
Should we apply for the "dream" locations in hopes we can get them in the future?
Should we apply for preference points?
What season is best?
Any place that has a good population and isn't private property?

Anything you can help with would be great! Would love for some good wall mounts, but love the meat more than the next. Just trying to get settled and hunting actively for life.

Thanks,
Maverick
Old 04-06-2009, 03:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Need help with CO applications....

Madmav you are in the state which makes it easier to travel to hunting units.

There's alot of open bull units in the southwestern portion of the state.

The way i see it for beginners is to go ahead and apply for preference points and hunt a second or third rifle season and find an area or hunting spot. It's all trial and error but hunt high and hunt away from the roads even it means walking a bit.

The other option is first season rifle for some units which you should draw first year out but, not knowing where your going tends to lead to an unsuccessful hunts.

I will email you a place to go and how to do it, it may work for you it may not. Good luck

By the way I love first time elk hunters nothing like that adventure for people to put in their memory book.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:02 AM
Spike

Thank you for the information. If I put in for preference points, where do you suggest I put in for?

Thanks,
Mav
Old 04-06-2009, 07:05 AM
Typical Buck

you don't have to put in for preference points as a location just use the PP code for preference points.
I would choose and alternate second choice but your running out of time for the research. If you got my email maybe I gave you an Idea where to go and you can apply first season for bull elk that is EM-080-01-R cross reference to make sure i did that off the top of my head.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:12 AM
Spike

Thank you so much for the help. I tried to reply to your email, but it kept getting kicked back to me. I will probably put in for what you are saying. I'm guessing that maybe this a good place for deer too? Thank you and god bless.

Maverick
Old 04-06-2009, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd certainly build pts....

I'm a non-res so building pts for sheep, goat, and moose is out of my ability at the moment but as an instater do it!

also as an in stater you can apply for desert bighorn, so build pts/apply for those!

Also in CO if you draw a 2nd-4th choice etc....you won't lose pts, and gain another as you did not draw your 1st choice! so one thing you can do is put in for your dream hunt....best unit & best season and then put in for a 2nd choice with better draw odds so you can hunt every year etc....and still build pts for that better unit/season.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Spike

Thanks for this info. I will check into it for sure.

Mav
Old 04-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Typical Buck

Put in for points and maybe an easier deer tag. I would go with an OTC bull tag for now until you learn the area a bit better. Welcome and good luck.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Spike

Is it cheaper when you just put in for points? Or do you have to pay the entire fee?

Mav
Old 04-07-2009, 06:36 PM
Spike

Nevermind, I found it.

Mav

Quick Reply: Need help with CO applications....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.