Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 DIY WY Antelope >

DIY WY Antelope

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

DIY WY Antelope

Old 01-26-2009, 06:13 PM

Default DIY WY Antelope

I am in the beginning stages of planning a DIY Antelope hunt in WY. What are some good areas to look for with good chance of draw and ample public land? What are the chances of scoring with a bow during the firearms season? I would like to take my recurve and my friends will be taking rifles (I could take a muzzleloader if it will be impossible to score with the curve). Any general tips you guys have for planning as well as hunting antelope is appreciated. Thank you...Mike
Old 01-26-2009, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: DIY WY Antelope

I'd suggest either subscribing or picking up a copy of Eastmans' hunting journal when they have the wyoming antelope MRS members research section, which now I think you only get if you're a member....

That or the huntin fool, but eastmans' covers wyoming quite well. They break up the state into 4 categories, from basically don't bother due to poor access/bad trophy quality on up to awesome bucks/plenty of access.

I'd recommend you and your guys going out a day or two early before the gun season opens and hunt with your bow and try to take a buck prior to the rifle opener...also your friends could be scouting and helping you get your buck during that time and picking out their bucks for opening morning. I think I'd say good luck as to taking a antelope with a bow during the rifle season. I may be trying to do what I previously stated, taking a buck with a bow during the bow season, ie scouting for opening of rifle.

WY antelope season is long, opening weekend always seems to be busy.

So I'd suggest subscribing to eastmans' for that particular information, as well just cross reference maps/antelope areas for public land/access, and draw odds, those odds will be listed in detail on WY game n fish website, as to pref pts needed....odds with 1 pt 2pts, 0pts etc....
Old 01-27-2009, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

One of the most effective methods is picking up the phone and making some calls to the fish and game. Get some biologists names and numbers for differnt regions of the state and call them up to figure out the info your looking for. After pinning down an area even call some local game wardens as they too can help out. Wyoming has lots of goats and lots of land to hunt. Alot of your questions can be answered by talking to them. Outdoor magazines have good info too, remember ever Dick, Harry, and Joe reads those same articles and may apply for what they suggest too with a chance of dropping the draw odds with all the subscribing members? Use all possibleresources to makethe best choice.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:48 PM

Thanks guys, great info...Mike
Old 01-28-2009, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it were me I'd pass on the magazines and go directly to the WDOW site. You will get deadlines for applications, season dates and types, costs and the whole works. Finding antelope and getting a place to hunt them in WY is like finding dirt.

http://gf.state.wy.us/fiscal/license/draw/2009/nonresident/index.asp