'09 Moose Hunt Options? >

'09 Moose Hunt Options?

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

'09 Moose Hunt Options?

Old 12-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: '09 Moose Hunt Options?

Philnie could hunt that area too, even if he doesn't have a buddy to go with...my point was he could do it for less than $3,700 and get after a big bull...

You can send donuts to...
Old 12-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

Hmmm, great information guys ... thanks for the input, etc.One of the things I did after starting my moose hunting "research" was to ask every hunting contact I had about it, etc. It turns out a hunting friend hunts with a couple brothers that have relatives in Wasilla AK. Seems they go up every couple years and hunt moose somewhere around there. I'm waiting to hear back on success rates, costs, difficulties, basically anything and everything, etc...

thanks,
phil
Old 12-08-2008, 11:15 PM
Fork Horn

amen to that, brother. Good luck...
Old 12-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Have you considered ID shiras moose?

I think you have a 1 in 8 chance of drawing....

Old 12-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

RaghornHS- I should have added that I'm equally eager to learn of your moose hunting experiences come Aug '09 too!

salukipv1- No I haven't done any research on Idaho shiraz moose hunting ... but am adding this to my list of course. Have you any experience hunting in ID (if not how did you discover this info, etc)?

thanks again guys!
phil
Old 12-12-2008, 01:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's on my list of future apps....basically I'm not applying there until I can feasible do the hunt because I believe it may be a once in a lifetime tag....even though drawing odds are great.

As soon as I have the money and time to dedicate to that hunt and do it right, I'm applying and planning to draw the tag.

As of now, if I were to draw it this year, I wouldn't be able to do it how it needs to be done, and if I'm correct that you can only draw a moose tag once there, I'd hate to waste such a great tag.

I may be wrong but in ID, you can only draw a moose, CA bighorn, Rcky Mtn Bighorn, once for each specie I believe. oh and mtn goat....I think mtn goat is even better odds, 1 in 7 or something.

ID does not have bonus pts, and requires a non-res to purchase a license prior to applying, which means I think like $150 up front and if you don't draw you don't get that back, however, you can draw the 1st year you apply, and its these reasons that few apply unless they're serious....which is why odds are so great...

So its a bit of a gamble, but I think if you're serious about wanting a moose, and the option for this year/next....its def a place to look at.

Feel free to email/ IM me

Old 12-27-2008, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

Phil, you hunting with rifle or bow...or muzzleloader.
If with bow i might have a few ideas for you. Alsothere are places to rent 4 wheelers also that can get you away from the road.
FYI - GOOD HEAVY GAME BAGS 6-8 depending on whether area you hunt requires you to bring out rib meat on thebones.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

AK Nimrod- Right now it's rifle or muzzleloader, but it could be bow down the road. I'd be a complete newbie archery hunter so would want 1-2 years of archery deer hunting at least before trying archery moose ... What archery moose hunting tips/options (in AK or perhaps elsewhere) did you have in mind?

thank you,
phil