Bridger-Teton Forest? >

Bridger-Teton Forest?

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Bridger-Teton Forest?

Old 08-05-2008, 06:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bridger-Teton Forest?

A follow up re an upcoming hunt in WY, we'll be in the Bridger-Teton Wilderness hunting Elk, muley-- anyone have experience in those woods-- tough terrain, but what kind of populations, etc? Any other advice, working this summer to get in great shape...Thanks.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bridger-Teton Forest?

Bring a big gun in case you run into a Grizzly! J/K There are good elk numbers and some really good mulies in that area. You will have fun no matter what. The views are outstanding and breathtaking. Good luck.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Wheatley

Bring a big gun in case you run into a Grizzly! J/K
There is no kidding about grizzly bears! They are in there!
Old 08-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted in that area for 14 years and I have never had an encounter with a Grizzly, (knocks on wood). I have seen sign of them though.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Fork Horn

Wheatly--sounds like you have experience in the area== any words of wisdom. although we have a deer tag hoping we can run down a respective bull. what are the heards like there. how difficult the terrain, weather in early Oct...thx for any insights. maritime
Old 08-10-2008, 10:03 PM
Fork Horn

I just moved over to the Idaho side of the Tetons from Teton Cnty, WY. . I've had more than a few close encounters with the grizzled bear! Lived in Jackson for 5 yrs. Wilson before that. This summer we have had the largest number of sightings of Grizz since anyone can remember. Grand Teton Natl. Park has made bear canisters mandatory for all backcountry users. There was an article in the Planet by Marc Gocke (bear biologist) that there will be grizzles in town this fall looking for food! "That long time locals and new locals need to wrap their minds around the fact that we now live in grizzly country."

Everything has changed here in regards to Grizzlies! Where I live now there has been no recollection of grizzlies in probably 150 yrs. There is absolutely a grizz living on Red Mtn. in the Big Holes and I've seen claw marks as high as 8 ft. on trees in Mike Harris and Mikesell Canyon! I go nowhere with out bear spray now. That wasn't the case before this summer. I'm in these mountains nearly everyday all year 'round. Hiking, mtn.biking, hunting, snowboarding, climbing, etc.....
Old 08-11-2008, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well the herds seem to be less and less each year. Last year we didn't find many elk but heard the wolves each night. My father and brother went back up later in the month and did finally find some elk after the snow had pushed them down I am guessing.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

Abuddy of mine who lives in the Bridger-Teton has been hearing bull screaming behind his house on Fall Creek Rd. for about 2 weeks.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:21 PM
Spike

Dont forget black bears as well as wolves. I have only seen one grizzlie so far but encounter a lot of black bears during elk bow season. Listen for the birds and squirells thats usually were the deer and elk hangout.BUY A GOOD BEAR SPRAY !