HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   West (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west-28/)
-   -   Missouri River Breaks MT (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west/254291-missouri-river-breaks-mt.html)

RandallT 07-24-2008 07:31 PM

Missouri River Breaks MT

I am heading to the Missouri River Breaks of Montana Sept 14 through the 20th. I will be hunting Elk and Mule Deer with a bow. Just curious what type of temps to expect. What type of Elk bugling/rutting to expect.

SouthDakotaHunter 07-24-2008 10:43 PM

RE: Missouri River Breaks MT

It really depends. Last year when I was in the breaks it was really hot during the day. 90's I belive. Keep an eye out for rain to! If it's like the last day and it looks like it's going to storm/rain, I would pack up OR you may be spending a couple of extra days hunting - that gumbo is nasty stuff....

Nemont 07-25-2008 11:54 AM

In can be everything from freezing and snowing to 90 plus degrees. It is as green and lush as I have seen the Breaks this time of year. Usually it has already turned brown. I was just down to the Bone Trail boat ramp and there is clover covering alot of the area. I saw two bulls in velvet that looked to be about in the 320 range, a couple of mule deer bucks that will push 170 plus and One that I will be hoping to hang a tag on that will be 185 plus.

Early morning bugling may be going on but it seems to me that as it heats up during the day that bulls get quiet and then in the evening again. Enjoy the crowds as they will probably be as big as ever.

Nemont

121553 07-25-2008 12:50 PM

A week isn't very much time. About the time you leave from there, I'll be arriving. I've been bowhunting there for 4 yrs on drawn hunts. There is usually a burn bann in place at that time of year as temps can be 100 plus during the day and at nights you freeze your butt off. September rainstorms are a given at that time of year and that gumbo clay can really be problematic if your hauling a camper or an RV. People will be plentiful but there won't be near many this year as in the past. Leave your bull calls at home and bring a calf and cow call and don't over call. These damn bulls are the most educated elk anywhere and a ground blind works good for an ambush. The cows are far from stupid also. Finding a good tree to put a stand in is rare, if you had a tripod treestand that would be good and just set up in the willows 2hrs before sunrise and pay attention to wind direction at all times. Also watch out for the prarie rattlers as they like to come out of there holes and bask in the sun. Bring a fishing pole too as theres good fishing for walleye, seagers and catfish on the river at night when you get back. Its considered by montana standards thats its a warm body of water and you'll need to get a warm water stamp for your fishing license. If you can get cell phone reception there, good luck.

Bobby

hillbillyhunter1 07-25-2008 12:58 PM

People will be plentiful but there won't be near many this year as in the past.
Why is that Bobby??

I thought the limited permits were next year.

:)

RandallT 07-25-2008 01:51 PM

Thanks for the info guys. This year was the first for limited archery tags, however I heard they gave out the average # that were issued over the last 3 years and I got drawn, so it couldn't have been too bad of odds:D. As far as crowds go, I will be hunting private ground with the possibility of some public ground hunting, so I doubt other hunters will be a problem.

121553 07-25-2008 11:07 PM

Chad, its alimited hunt this year, we only have 1599 hunters this year:eek: Not sure what the actual quota was before? I am so pumped for this.

Bobby