Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Retrieving game using an ATV on a closed forest road??? >

Retrieving game using an ATV on a closed forest road???

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Retrieving game using an ATV on a closed forest road???

Old 07-25-2008, 08:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Retrieving game using an ATV on a closed forest road???

Get yourself a travel plan map from the forest service for that area, it will list what roads are open and what they are open too.

Most places I go the roads are posted as to what the allowed use is, if it says closed and nothing else then it is closed to all motorized traffic, but if there is another sign with little pictures of atv, motorcyle, bicicle, horse, hiker and they have open and closed stickers or open closed dates then you go by what the sign says.

Best to get the travel plan map and if you have questions call the forest service office for that forest.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check the Forest Service Office serving the area you plan to hunt. Rules vary, and not all closures are well-marked (and as with most other activities - "ignorance of the law is no excuse").

There's always someone out there who'll ignore the closure gates, though.They're the same ones who cry the loudest when something needs to be recovered after an accident. As a snowmobiler, I'm familiar with cases every year where someone was in a closed (generally "wilderness") area and has some kind of accident - and then thinks that it's unreasonable thatthey have to pack the wreckage of their snowmobile out on foot. And, then the matter of the fine.....

Old 07-26-2008, 11:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Around here in SoCal...I would say ...NO...alot of road closures around here are due to fire (after fire) activity, the ticket here would be too risky for me!
Old 08-08-2008, 04:17 PM

If you choose to break the law with the ATV on a closed road then you just give more fodder for the anti folks to go after us for yet something else. I packed my last elk out 3.4 miles, there was a closed road there too. It about kicked my but. But if it was so easy to gitter done then everyone would be out there.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

In our area some roads are closed to all motorized travel, others are open to 4-wheelers but closed to full sized vehicles. I get irritated by the ocassional guy on the 4-wheeler that comes down a skid road I am walking, but then I think "why am I walking on a road anyways", there are a million places you can go on foot for every one you can access via 4-wheelers. People are always wanting to limit access in our area, but that just gets the ball rolling to take away opportunities for everyone. It may be different in other places, but we have such huge chunks of ground that you only can get to by foot, that to take away the limited areas for people on quads I beleive would be unfair.
Every year we have more and more access roads closed down due to lack of funding, erosion, and all kinds of other excuses, without a vote, and usually just due to the thinking of a couple individuals. Had a friend who works for the forest service tell me one area road was closed just because the forest service guy that oversee's that area elk hunts there and wanted to restrict access for everyone else.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

ORIGINAL: millagerobert

In our area some roads are closed to all motorized travel, others are open to 4-wheelers but closed to full sized vehicles. I get irritated by the ocassional guy on the 4-wheeler that comes down a skid road I am walking, but then I think "why am I walking on a road anyways", there are a million places you can go on foot for every one you can access via 4-wheelers. People are always wanting to limit access in our area, but that just gets the ball rolling to take away opportunities for everyone. It may be different in other places, but we have such huge chunks of ground that you only can get to by foot, that to take away the limited areas for people on quads I beleive would be unfair.
Every year we have more and more access roads closed down due to lack of funding, erosion, and all kinds of other excuses, without a vote, and usually just due to the thinking of a couple individuals. Had a friend who works for the forest service tell me one area road was closed just because the forest service guy that oversee's that area elk hunts there and wanted to restrict access for everyone else.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a little News from one of the pro-access groups that I am a member of................................................ .................................................. ........[*]
A copy of the full 201 page decision can be found on our website at the following link: http://www.snowmobile-alliance.org/08/misc/Roadless_Rule_-_WYO_vs_USDA_Odr_Granting_Relief_Case_No_07-CV-17-B.pdf
The Snowmobile Alliance of Western States (SAWS) applauds the recent federal Court decision enjoining the U.S. Forest Service from implementing the so-called "Roadless Rule" imposed by the Clinton Administration in violation of federal law. That rule, which the court found created de-facto Wilderness Designation for over 58 million acres of forests, prohibited any development or road building in designated forests. Federal Court Judge, Clarence Brimmer, found that the manner in which the nation-wide ban on development was implemented violated several environmental laws and prevented the Forest Service from properly managing its forests on a local basis.
This decision is the latest in a long legal battle over the validity of the Clinton/Gore roadless rule, and is similar to a 2003 decision issued in a case filed by the State of Wyoming which challenged that rule. An appeal of the 2003 decision was dismissed because the Bush administration had issued its own rules for roadless areas. The Bush rules were struck down and the Clinton/Gore Rule was reinstated by a 2006 decision issued by a magistrate sitting in the U.S. District Court located in Northern California. That decision, however, gave new life to Wyoming’s lawsuit which resulted in this latest development.
While the roadless rule did not explicitly prohibit the use of snowmobiles in the designated areas, it had a significant impact on the types of activities the Forest Supervisors were permitted to allow under Forest Management Plans. This decision should put the management of our forests, and the creation of Forest Management Plans back where we believe it belongs, with the local Forest Supervisors. It is too early to know exactly how this decision will impact Forest Management Plans that were created under the guidelines of the roadless rule, but we at SAWS believe it will allow for more local input from those impacted by the Management Plans.
While this decision has already been appealed to the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals, Judge Brimmer’s decision makes it clear that it should be implemented immediately to reduce the potential threat of beetle infestations and forest fires posed by the roadless rule.
***This information is being provided for educational purposes only. It should not be considered legal advice or a substitute for legal advice in any matter***
Steven B. Smith, Esq. Snowmobile Alliance of Western States

Copyright © 2008 Snowmobile Alliance of Western States. All Rights Reserved. Permission is granted todistribute this information in whole or in part, as long as Snowmobile Alliance of Western States (SAWS) is acknowledged as the source.
If youare not yet a member of SAWS and you would like receive these alerts, please sign up on our web site at: http://www.snowmobile-alliance.org. SAWS is FREE to join!

Old 08-17-2008, 06:38 PM
Spike

Closed is closed. I was Turkey hunting last spring when a couple of guys on ATVs came riding up, got off and were going to hunt. I spoke to them and of course they gave me a Bull#&^^ story that there was a trail leading up there. We have cattle that graze in the forest and leave a trail and some SOB wants to call it an ATVtrail. Sad thing was he had his kid with him teaching him this. We will be lucky if we can walk in the forest in a few years. I own an ATV and love it. I will not go off road with it. It is all part of respecting the land and the desire to have it open for my children and grenadchildren.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Blue Moose CO

Get in touch with the Forest/Distict that you plan to hunt. Several forest roads are closed in the fall to prevent resource damage but they have 4 different vehicle closures - it may be closed to full size vehicles but open to Motorcycles and ATV's and then again it may not be. The district publishes a Travel Plan with all roads listed and the type of closure being enforced. Often the type of closeure is posted at the gate.