Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

wolves

Old 04-12-2008, 09:14 AM

Default RE: wolves

I dont know much about the policies in Wyoming, since I live in Idaho, but we are having TONS of issues with wolves. Hunters are pretty much freaking out everywhere, I would say. I agree with whoever said that we didnt need wolves introduced into our area...but since they are here, I dont believe that we should go out and kill every single wolfout therein the woods. Since they have been here, mostly all of the ecosystem has gotten used to the swing of things. I completely understand that there are WAY too many of them out there harrassing our elk, but I agree with the wolf management plan that Idaho fish and game is going to put into action (if it ever gets moving). but the point is, they dont all need to be slaughtered. They just need to be managed very closely.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:21 PM

elkoholic-lady,

The wolf plan our Fish and Game has came forth with will not resolve your concerns of too many wolves. The seasons and hunting methods lend for younger non-breeding age wolves to be harvested. They estimate that wolf populations are increasing by as much as 40% per year. They estimate that 20% will die of natural causes per year leaving and a plan to harvest 15%. That leaves a minimun potential net increase of 5% population growth per year. These numbers are all based on what the IDFG identifies as least case population estimates. If the population in Idaho is higher than these numbers wolves could still increase at a much higher rate. I also did not see any reflection on the plan accounting for wolves that would now be killed by human that normally would have died of natural causes. This plan opens the door to hunting while staying politically correct. It is probally the right thing to do for the moment with the hope that in five years the state has complete control and get a handle on things. I know a lot of ranchers who are losing calves every spring and will not find any relief until trapping is allowed on private land where conflict exists or more successful hunting tatics.

IdahoBison
Old 04-14-2008, 08:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

I find this whole issue interesting. Just whose idea was it to reintroduce wolves into given areas? Were local people consulted, or was this a decision made by people in offices 200 miles away? I would think reintroduction of predators would be something that Greenpeace members out in the suburbs just love, but local ranchers and farmers would hate.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

There was much public comment on the whole issue, but being that it is/was an issue based more on emotion/politics and less on science, it was going to happen regardless of public comment, that is my opinion.

You could probably find the statistics. The pro-wolf folks claim 70% of public comment was for the re-intro, the anti-wolf folks claim not. I honestly don't know, nor do I have time to look for stats. The problem arises in the fact of where the comments came from locally or nationally. It doesn't take much for PETA, or the Sierra Club to get 1000s of comments on an issue like this, then claim their stats after the fact. I don't know.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:11 PM

It was the Nez Perce Indian tribe's idea for North Idaho
Old 04-16-2008, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

The whole idea got started with Al Gore. There was a volentery poll taken at Yellowstone & Grand Teton National park. They surveyed every visitor that would take a few minutes for there survey. I took the survey myself and did not support the reintroduction of wolves.
Secretary of the Interior Bruce Babbit wasincharge of this program. Bruce Babbitdemanded we have wolves, because this is what america wants.
I couldgoon all day butwillspare you & end it here.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

If an animal is native then we should reintroduce it, in kentucky elk have been reintroduced and now there are 7500 of them, which would not of happened if fish and wildlife had of listened tothe farmers raising *&%^.

Remember, Conservation = The act of conserving
Old 04-17-2008, 10:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

I dont think that a pack of Elk is gonna go into someones farm yard and slaughter the guy's sheep. But then again, if the Elk population gets high and spreading out of the isolated hill country and you start getting fatal accidents from people hitting them all the time, then it may start to seem likeless of a good idea.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:07 PM
Fork Horn

we have a new population of bears in SE Ark. We hate 'em. They tear up everything they come into contact with. Forget about deer feeders and leaving your trash can out at night.

I understand that they were here first. But we got rid of them for a reason.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah over here in Oregon they started to reinturduse them but a bunch of things wen't wrong and now I believe there are none left! but the moose are starting to move into north east Oregon and thats pretty cool!

Right now in Oregon they need to allow dog hunting cougers again cause they are way over populated here.

Quick Reply: wolves

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.