HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   West (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west-28/)
-   -   Oregon elk hunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west/24100-oregon-elk-hunters.html)

whtelk 02-18-2003 10:00 PM

Oregon elk hunters

Anyone hunt elk in Oregon? I am lucky enough to be within 30 minute drive of decent elk hunting. I spend most of my elk hunting in eastern Oregon.

hntngirl 02-21-2003 10:01 PM

RE: Oregon elk hunters

:)Whoa! This is weird! Same little town! I hunt elk every year on Snow Peak! Now mostly on BLM since Weyerhauser bought out Willamette. Be nice if they would open some of the lines back up, especially the " D" . Makes hauling a trailer up a heck of alot easier! Lots of nice elk up on the peak!

7x7 02-22-2003 08:24 AM

Hi Whtelk,
I live in Salem but by father-in-law has a 15,000 acre ranch in eastern Oregon in the Heppner unit. It is a 6 hour drive from my home but it sure is worth it. I sure am spoiled not having to hunt on public land but I will take it. He only lets family hunt on his property so only 10 to 12 of us hunt it each year.

whtelk 02-22-2003 10:16 AM

Yea it would be nice if weyco would open those gates for us bow hunters, last year I never could hunt snow peak. I hunt alot up on soda fork and moose mountain areas where there arnt any gates.So your from our little town, how strange...we probrably know each other or have mutual friends. I have lived here all my life.

hntngirl 02-22-2003 01:11 PM

:)Yeah, I know the gates up snow peak are closed alot during bow season. You can still get up if you drive through Sweet home and all the way around the river and go up by Dogwood Park. Bit of a drive. Yeah, we probably do have mutual friends. My family has lived in Lacomb and Lebanon for about four generations. I lived here when I was little, moved, and then came back about 12 years ago. I love it here!:D

whtelk 02-23-2003 10:05 AM

I have 4 pref. points for elk and 3 for deer. I now have enough points to draw Mount emily branch bull tag, only 61 tags this year for the big bulls. I am going to use a point saver though and go next year when my hunting partner will have enough to go also. I have been putting in also for the S.E Metoliouse [spelling] buck tag, the buck tag is a late hunt in thier wintering grounds but it takes at least 6 to even have a chance to draw. We hunted the Ochoco' s for elk and deer last 2 years and have a roadless area that holds some awsome bulls. 2 years ago I was after a herd bull that was 7x7 and had around 30 cows with him, closest shot was 50 yards but not enough window to thread the arrow, word has it he was killed last year. :(

dodgeram400 02-23-2003 09:04 PM

hey i live around here to ,in sweet home , i did' nt get to hunt elk this past year but hopefully i will get to this year . this year i think i will put in for the chandler mt cow hunt , but i mostly hunt swamp mt , buck mt and chandler mt , never been up snow peak. glad to see someone from around here finally.
[quote]ORIGINAL: whtelk

CamoHunter 02-25-2003 01:31 PM

I hunt in the central to north eastern part of the state. The closest place That I hunt is in the Ochoco unit. In N.E. it would be in the Heppner, Starkey or the Mt. Emily unit.:)

whtelk 02-26-2003 07:54 AM

CAMOHUNTER...Have you ever hunted the Mount Emily unit? I am very familiar with the unit. I have scouted there many times and also killed 2 big rattle snakes there. The bull population isnt what it use to be, could be all the cats and the bears. Saw 2 bear in one day over there 2 years ago, be a great spring bear unit.

CamoHunter 02-27-2003 01:28 PM

whtelk, Yeah I grew up hunting elk there. I took my first bull there and then took my oldest son there a few years back and he took his first elk there also. I have rifle hunted up there for the last 5-6 years, when my son started hunting. I first went up there back in the 70' s. I have a few friends that get a few bears out of there in the spring. I hunt faily low elevations. How high up do you hunt?