Alaska Thread >

Alaska Thread

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Alaska Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 08:02 AM

Default RE: Alaska Thread

Dan,

that sounds great. I am planning on coming up in '05 though, not '04. Apparently I have other priorities and can't jump up to Alaska whenever I feel like it (at elast that's what my wife says.

I do have one buddy in AL and my buddy in AK who is in on the trip. The rental idea was in case he couldn't go. So, I can't commit to anything at this point because of the other guys.
(you can't beat a live aboard, though can you???)

thanks,

Brian
Old 02-19-2004, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

well give it thought and keep me posted.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:39 AM
Typical Buck

beej99- there is an outfit in whittier that rents larger boats. kinda pricey but it might work i will have to see if i can find there #. whittier small boat harbor may know who it is. 2-3 years ago the rates were $550 for first day and less for each additional day. i will try to remember and look for there card when i get home in a couple weeks. if i remember right they had 3 boats. - pat
Old 02-23-2004, 07:22 AM

Pat,

I saw one on the internet recently that rented them for about that much, something like bear boat rentals. I just can't afford something like that. I suppose what I'll do if everything else falls apart is rent a Forest service cabin and just get a water taxi. I hope it doesn't come to that. mobility sure is nice!

thanks for the info...

Brian
Old 02-23-2004, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

IF THERE WAS 2-3 OF YOU THE COST OF A RENTAL BOAT WOULD NOT BE TOO BAD. THERE IS ALSO AN OUTFIT THAT RENTS SKIFFS (SOMETHING LIKE A 18-20 FT BAYRUNNER) AT WHITTIER HARBOR....THAT COMBINED WITH A CABIN MAY BE THE TICKET. WATER TAXIS CAN GET VERY EXPENSIVE AS WELL. SOME CABINS HAVE SKIFFS. BUT THE DOWNSIDE IS MY GUESS THERE IS LESS CHANCE OF SEEING BEARS. IF YOU ARE STUCK AT A CABIN YOU WOULD BE BETTER OFF HUNTING THE KENAI MTNS FROM THE ROAD SYSTEM.
BIGGER BEARS ON POW AND A ROAD SYSTEM TO TRAVEL.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:28 PM

Pat,

is the bayrunner like a boston whaler?

I guess that is all I am looking for. If the weather is crappy, I won't be in the ocean. I just won't risk that. So, I guess I don't need a huge boat. I know the cabin (that I have my eye on) does not have a skiff with it. should I just call up to the whittier harbor to check on that or is there a specific name of a company?

thanks for the help....

brian
Old 02-24-2004, 12:07 AM
Typical Buck

http://www.akmining.com/boat/bayrun.htm
OPEN SKIFF, ALUMINUM, HIGH SIDES AND VERY POINTED BOW
SOMEONE AT THE SMALL BOAT HARBOR OR CITY OFFICE SHOULD KNOW
http://www.bearboatrental.com/equipment.htm
http://www.alaskajourney.com/appendix/copper.html
Old 03-09-2004, 01:25 PM
Typical Buck

WELL I JUST RETURNED FROM UTAH...GOT A JACKRABBIT WITH MY RECURVE
ABM HAD SENT ME GREAT NEWS IN AN EMAIL.. THE 1/4 MILE RESTRICTION ON THE HAUL ROAD AS WELL AS THE IBEP # REQUIREMENT HAS GONE AWAY[8D] THANK GOODNESS FOR THAT. - PAT
Old 03-09-2004, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I posted this somewhere else Nim, Unfortunatly this is baaad. I wont let go the information I have on this for fear of us loosing our contacts. But I will say to all Haul road users.

Clean your act up, there is watchful eyes amongst us. If you saw the figures they have gathered, you'd understand!

You'll likely see more and tighter restrictions now that its gone! (feds have already spoken there piece) What a shame to see such a good thing (haul road hunt) become political enough it will soon be gone. Hunt it while you can!

Unfortunatly our buddy's who are fighting/ffought this are sealing there own coffin! Along with yours and mine!
Old 03-10-2004, 12:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nimrod, congrats on your jackrabbit. I heard it weighs in excess of 600 pounds?

When do you return up north. I'm here till the 25th and SEAK gets back on the 16th. We'll have to swing out to dinner some night while we are all up. I managed to get my first wolverine on the trap line. An average sized male, 28 pounds. He's headed south to the taxidermist to get stuffed.

Glad everything worked out our way on both of the ABA proposals. Some other rulings are to allow trucks to drive 1/4 mile from the roadway on access roads, gravel pits/bars, etc. The arrow weight garbage was tossed out, and there was a proposal to switch the moose drawing in unit 24 to a registration and that failed.

Just found out though that the Denali Buffer Zone will still be in place. The board voted 4-3 to keep the buffer zone! Guess they wanted to give a little to the ARA's.

Quick Reply: Alaska Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.