DIY Mule and/or Elk out West >

DIY Mule and/or Elk out West

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

DIY Mule and/or Elk out West

Old 02-26-2008, 01:43 PM
Spike

Default DIY Mule and/or Elk out West

How many time have we heard this?? I want to hunt out west on my own for Elk or Mule Deer but I don't want to wait the multiple years to draw a tag. Well I am that guy. I have been pouring through documents and websites from most of the major western states. (Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Idaho,etc..) My issue is I am getting different answers from their websites and the states fish and game. Even some contradicting info here in this hunting.net forum.Sobelow is what I know so far (or think I know) about the above mentioed states. So what I am trying to figure out is where can a group of 5-6 hunting buddies from the midwest go and hunt Mule Deer and/or elk this year and either buy a tag OTC or have very good odds of drawing one?

Montana- I talked to the fish and game dept via phone today. Non-Residents have a 15% chance of drawing a deer only combo license. They also have a 50% chance of drawing a deer/elk combo license. Yet their website mentions some units had drawing chances near 100% in 2004. i.e this was areas around the Bear Paws and Milk River. Nothing found for OTC.

Colorado - The trophy units seem to be in the northwestern part of the state. They also seem to have some units that you can purhcase Mule deer tags OTC. I think (don't quote me on this) those units were south of Co. Springs. In the 55-56 range. But is this common?or just those units? I could not confirm.

Wyoming - (Rude people working the phones at the fish and game dept) no less than 1.2 million units for a state the size of Illinios.j/k Seriously how big are these things 5 sq miles each??? Odds are around 10% for mule deer on the primary drawing. They also have a secondary drawing in June or July. Nothing seen for OTC.

Idaho- Very intriguing. Cool thing not many may know is if you get a mule deer license you can shoot a bear or a mt. Lion with your deer tag. But once your tag is used, its used. Seems like they have some units that have unlimited tags, which is great but likely means low quality bucks and lots of hunters, but like Wyoming those units (on a map) look to be the size of a Mc.Donalds parking lot. Other units prime units are draw only. Season seems to be primarily Nov. which overlaps with most mid-west deer hunts so would be tough.

Utah- They seem to have a pretty strick pref. points system with low odds for non-res. Does have left over tag drawing. Unsure of odds.

So this a summary of the states I have researched.Some of this info may be way offor right on, but this is my view from my research. So begentle if I have somthingwrong, Iam not trying to personally offend you. I have checked out a ton of sites, dug throughout this forum and its all a jumbled mess in my head. So if you have any suggestions how 5-6 guys could go together on a DIY mule and/or elk hunt out west I would appreciate it.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: DIY Mule and/or Elk out West

You off on the right foot! It all depends on really on you guys. The choices are something all of you have to make, and any of the states will be rewarding!
Old 02-26-2008, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

You got off to a good start. Like Mulie said, any of the states can be rewarding. A good hunt starts by preparing and leg work on the phone with the g & f, and biolgists to find an area you will like. If you get an area you will enjoy the rest pretty much falls into place. You better get on the ball and figure out what you want if your thinking this year. Draws are coming up soon for many of the states, if not already past due in some of the states.
I too just learned about the bear and lion that can be tagged with an Idaho deer tag. Never knew that until it was too late, actually seen a lion middle of the day this year while in idaho within range.....Goes to show should read the reg's completely before going out in the field.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:45 PM

Colorado= OTC bull tags 2nd and 3rd rifle season + leftover mule tags in western units = fun

Old 02-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like you are doing you research! Your info looks pretty good to me. OTC tags (or easily drawn tags) can be a tough hunt, but there can be some good hunting if you are willing to put the time and effort in.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:54 AM
Typical Buck

I respect a guy like you!! Way to do the dirty work!
Old 02-28-2008, 01:25 AM

New Mexico doesn't have points. You have the same chance every year as any other non-resident. Pricey elk tags but there are some monsters there. I have hunted mule deer there but it was
back in the mid 90s when OTC tags were the norm. Plus you only pay the $8 up front application cost per species. If you draw, then they dink your CC for the tag amount.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Spike

Anyone know if it helps to have a land owner sponsor you? Would it increase or garuntee your odds of gettinga tag?
Old 02-29-2008, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

In Montana the Land Owner Sponsored tags are nearly 100% guaranteed draw at least for somebody putting in just for themselves. The caveat is that you are required to hunt only on the landowners private deeded land. You are not supposed to hunt any adjoining public land with a Land owner sponsored tags.

Nemont
Old 03-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have done your homework. I like Idaho for there over-the-counter elk & deer tags. Wyoming is tough to understand until you really dig into there regs.
Montana IMHO is kind of over rated. Montana does havethere rifle season during the deer rut, that is a big plus. Montana also has a "Back Country" early rifle season for elk & deer. The season opens September-15th. This is a big plus, if you have the cash for a outfitter? You can hunt bull elk during the peak of the rut.

Good luck hunting,

WK

Quick Reply: DIY Mule and/or Elk out West

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.