Tips on Montana Elk >

Tips on Montana Elk

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Tips on Montana Elk

Old 02-22-2008, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tips on Montana Elk

Looking for someone who has experience in hunting the Elk in Montana. A group of us are going from Illinois for a week long hunt near Drummond MT. Any tips would be greatly appreciated since; with the exception of 1 guy, it is the first time for the rest of us.....We hunt deer hard here in the midwest; however, it is a little different out in the mountains.

Thanks
Old 02-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Tips on Montana Elk

How do you know if you are going to draw a tag?

Old 02-22-2008, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

My best advise is to read as many books and articles as you can find if you never done an elk hunt before. Got to remember, elk hunting is not deer hunting. Ive read somewhere and its pretty true. Forget everything youknow about deer hunting in order to hunt elk. I am a firm believer in the morning and evening hunt when you can catch an elk up moving to or from there bedding area to where they feed. We usually get walking to our vantage points for glassing and be there at light even if it means leaving camp1-3 hours before sun up. I seldom go into the dark timber middle of the daylooking for bedded elk unless its around the rutand if they are talking. Bumping elk out of there bedding area will usually end up them leaving thearea to another area to where they wont be bothered. They dont care if they live in a certain drainageor the next or3 drainages away.Will you be wanting togoing during bow season or rifle? O yeah, better the shape you are in the better.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:19 PM

Your a flat lander so get in shape. I am orginally from illinois myself, too much corn there anymore for my taste. Went back there last summer and had tree frogs falling into my beer, place has become a humid jungle. Anyway, I assume you have an outfitter since you are sure you are coming out. Drummond is a nice area. I guided last year in the interior and i can tell you being in good physical condition is a must. I went to bed at about midnite, and got up at four. I got a total of 27 hours sleep in 8 days of hunting and hiked over 50 miles in the rugged interior, but we got on the elk. If you can't put in the miles at high altitude in rugged conditions, your chances of getting on elk are greatly deminished. I can tell you from personal expierence that elk along the roads, and elk 5-10 miles in the interior are totally different animals. The interior elk are much more receptive to calling, and generally bigger. Get up early, hike, hike, and hike until you find em. Take a noon nap, and then hunt til dark. That noon nap is esential to keeping your body up to speed. Learn to sleep in small increments, 4-5 hours at night, up for morning hunt, 2-3 hour noonnap, and hunt til dark, then hike back to camp.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

#1 on the list is to get into as best shape as possible!
Old 02-23-2008, 08:05 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: SouthDakotaHunter

#1 on the list is to get into as best shape as possible!
Best advice for you! I also come from Illinois and make the trek to Colorado and hunt public ground DIY elk every year. Coming from 400-600 ft. elevation and hunting from 7000'-11,000' is going to traumatize your body. Do as much running, weightlifting as possible. Climb some hills if you have any around. Try to get the thighs working as hard as possible. It could make or break your hunt. Elk hunting in the rockies is a fantastic experience you won't soon forget, but if not donewith some forthoughtyou could regret it! Good luck!
Old 03-17-2008, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Nemont

How do you know if you are going to draw a tag?

Don't know if we will draw a tag or not. Just wanting to know what we have to look forward to. Thanks for the positive response though....
Old 03-17-2008, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the responses.....well except for one [&:]....lol......I have been pounding the treadmillon a high incline.....I figure it this way.....If we don't get drawn, at least I will be in better shape for huntin here in the midwest...

Thanks again!
Old 03-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

Did you put in as a party?

I would buy the best boots you can afford, and get them broken in over the summer. I would also find some hills to climb somewhere around you as well, and get a good pack(there are dozens of threads on packs)and load it up. Lifting weights, running, etc, is all good, but walking around out in the woods with a heavy pack will get you further IMHO. Your body gets "used" to just running and learning just those motions of lifting. That is one of the reasons I started trail camming. It gets my butt out in the woods hiking the hills, high stepping over logs, pushing through brush, carrying a pack. I was right there with my buddy who is a runner, he was dying the first time out. Ask me to run a mile with him, he will kill me, hiking is just different.
Are you going to hike in behind locked gates and camp? Or just stay at a motel and head out early every morning?

Get some good synthetic clothing. Absolutely no cotton. You have to be comfortable, wet and cold is not comfortable. You can stay out and hunt harder and longer.

Are you bowhunting or rifle hunting?
Old 03-19-2008, 03:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

We put in as a party; there are 5 of us. We were told that it is muchbetter to put in as a party rather than individually.

There is actually a cabin on the property we will be staying at (7000 ft.) The neighbor has been complaining of elk browsing in his fields. He doesn't mind at all if we come over to his fields and whack em'.

I was seriously thinking of taking my bow.Since this is the 1st elk hunt I may go on I decided agiainst it. I know nothing is easy; however I think it will be slightly easier with a 30-06 rather than a Martin Cheetah!

Quick Reply: Tips on Montana Elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.