Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Colorado Drop Camp Outfitter? >

Colorado Drop Camp Outfitter?

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Colorado Drop Camp Outfitter?

Old 01-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Colorado Drop Camp Outfitter?

rbull, I can certainly understand your frustration under the circumstances. You had a good thing going, and a good area. I can certainly see why you'd feel like you do from a outfitter basically taking over the area you had hunted. I have read a few stories on Winterhawk in the early yrs. not being as good as the Outfit they are now.It is a business for them, and their living. But I honestly didn't see a Outfit all about the $ when I was there. In fact their prices were lower than alot of Colorado Outfitters I researched for inwhat offered. I'm not saying they are the lowest, but were less than many. They went all out for us, and treated us like family. Everything was great, and everyone was terrific there.Trust me I'm picky when it comes to hunting, and if I didn't like them in anyway I wouldn't be going back.
The Ice box they called it was up near base of sheep mountain. They have a drop camp not too far from it. Far as herds not sticking around there was Elk tracks all over the meadow within 50yds from the tents, and a group of guys were in that camp. Said they were out hunting, and when came back found all the tracks!! We'd stopped in midday, joining themfor lunch & a warm up. Was pretty funny.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

Try these folks:

http://www.sablemountainoutfitters.com/
Old 01-18-2008, 08:09 PM
Spike

BuckAlley,

Sounds like you've had an enjoyable experience with Winterhawk. That's truly what it's all about. It has been a long time ago.I can not comment on their hospitality. I'm curious if you've had opportunties to take an elk or ultimate success.

Silvertip,

That's a good region. Adams Lodge is in the same area and has, or had permits at Marvine Lake. I heard from some friends that Adams sold recently, wonder if Sable picked up thier permit to set a camp up at Marvine.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

rbull, I had one close encounter with a really nice Bull, he was nice 6x6. He came running in silent, and hung up just below the crest of a small drop off about 40yds from me. I had his head & back only clear for a bowshot. He'd start to walk off, and my guide would call him back, and stop him. But he wouldn't crest the top for a clear shot. So close. It was exciting as heck. Rest of hunt I saw plenty of elk, and some other nice bulls. But they just weren't responding well to calls, and didn't bugle much either. I hunted the last wk of Sept 06'. My guide explained they'd gotten quiet becasue of the severe weather changes, and it was a tough yr. for calling. Sept. was a warm month, and reached 80's the wk before we arrived. The 3rd day of our hunt it dropped to 20's, and we got about 1' snow. It just shut the action down. I also saw this on another Elk archery show from fall of 06'. I wasn't sure at time if was from pressure in that area, or the weather like my guide said. But the TV show, and couple magazine articles confirmed the same. So I guess was a off yr. Maybe you know more about that.