Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 HELP!!! - Archery in Montana Threatened >

HELP!!! - Archery in Montana Threatened

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

HELP!!! - Archery in Montana Threatened

Old 01-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: HELP!!! - Archery in Montana Threatened

What would hunting out west be like if the residents hadn't taken take of for the last century? We owe you nothing as hunting is not a right it is aprivilege. NR hunters have been the reason for more locked gates and more loss of opportunity then any resident.

I adovcate Montana raise resident fees, do away with the outfitter set aside's and fund Block Management with resident dollars. That way we don't even begin to have this feeling that we "owe" NR anything. I hunt with and host NR hunters every year, I have met some tremendous people through hunting that are true friends, I enjoy hunting as a NR in other states and travel outside the country at least once a year to hunt somewhere. I have never felt that resident of another state or country owe me anything for the privilege of hunting in their locations. I pay the higher fees because I know I am not contributing to their economy on a daily basis like a resident is.

So keep thinking that the hunters in the West owe you something and see how well that attitude plays out for you.

Nemont
Old 01-15-2008, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

Buckshot, its just the way it works. I am not nuts. I hunt more than just Montana every hunting season which makes me a non resident hunter in other states to know. I think you should take a better look at the bigger picture. Non residents pay a higher dollar no matter where you hunt. Its not just out west as you claim all the flat landers are supporting our services. The non resident also takes advantage of the services provided by ourfish and game. Example the block management in Montana,if that program wasnt in effect I could find hunting property to hunt because I am a resident and know other land owners to be able to access other property. How many non residents would be left in the dark if that program would no be in use?? Im sure somecould still find lands to hunt but alot depend on this service to make there hunt happen here in Montana. Mabey not you personallybut alot do throughout the whole state, I lived in Iowa and Ontarionow Montana.All places lets the resident hunter huntwith a lower cost hunter lic or tagsand the non resident at a higher rate. Im sure your state does the same thing. This thread is about the breaks, speaking ofnon residents,I doubt you (the non residents)where in the breaks 2 years ago helping fight fires and save thehabitat of the breakswhen it almost all went up in flames north west of Jordan??? I hunt out of state tooand accept we dont have the same privledges as the resident, its just the way it is. You are not a resident of Montana just as I am not a resident of your state.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

What would hunting out west be like if the residents hadn't taken take of for the last century? We owe you nothing as hunting is not a right it is aprivilege.
Never said you own us nonresidents anything, but to claim were on equal footing is ludicrous.

I adovcate Montana raise resident fees, do away with the outfitter set aside's and fund Block Management with resident dollars
Any idea just how much youd have to raise resident lic fees to make do that?

I have never felt that resident of another state or country owe me anything for the privilege of hunting in their locations
Never said that either, no state could possibly allow the resource to be used the equally by both resident and non resident, it just cant handle that kind of pressure.

I pay the higher fees because I know I am not contributing to their economy on a daily basis like a resident is.
I too dont mind paying higher fees, but whats charged for a, say elk tag is rediculous.

So keep thinking that the hunters in the West owe you something and see how well that attitude plays out for you
Again never said that, try rereading my first post.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Typical Buck

I hunt more than just Montana every hunting season which makes me a non resident hunter in other states to know.
I hunt, PA, WV and either MT or ID. So Im no stranger to paying higher lic fees, heck I own property in WV, still have to pay for a nonresident and thats rapidly going the way of a hunting lic out west.
All places lets the resident hunter huntwith a lower cost hunter lic or tagsand the non resident at a higher rate. Im sure your state does the same thing
Not to the tune the western states do. There is no reason that the most expesive part of a trip out west should be a hunting lic. Let me break it down, last years trip to MT. Hunting lic 643, fuel 300, food 45, mmmm something there doesnt seem right.

I doubt you (the non residents)where in the breaks 2 years ago helping fight fires and save thehabitat of the breakswhen it almost all went up in flames north west of Jordan
I doubt the vast majority of MT resident hunters were there either. BTW, my buddy up the road, headsout west fairly often to fight forest fires, and so do a bunch of other fire fighters here on the east cost.

I hunt out of state tooand accept we dont have the same privledges as the resident, its just the way it is. You are not a resident of Montana just as I am not a resident of your state.
I expect to pay higher prices than a res. but 10-20times as much is getting carried away.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

Why are you so defensive? Montana is not the only state to charge a good dollar for there tags for the non residents. Examples for non residents. Arizona 595.00 plus another150.00 hunting lic. Nevada 1200.00 plusanother 140.00 odd cent hunting lic. Utah close to 800.00 plus the hunting lic of 65.00. Wyoming ranges from 500 with the "cheap" lic to almost 1000.00 for the "expensive" lic. Colorado is about 500.00 and Idaho is by far the best value coming in justunder 400.00. I dont see how Montana is ripping you off. Montana actually lets you go hunting as some of the states, good luck in drawing in the first 20 years of applying. As your comment about the fires. Do those east coast fire fighters get paid to go out west to fight fires?? My point is, a localwill protect his land and country just as I would expect you do the same at your home. The non residentfire fighters I doubt did it out of the goodness of they're heart. Andthe locals of Montana are vast majority of the hunting population as hunting is a way of life for most Montana people. Its just another benifit of being the resident of the state you choose. I dont like 3.00 a gallon fuel, but I pay it. I recommend just taking it easy on thissubjectbecause its not going to change. If the fish and game decides to change system, its they're call.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Fork Horn

Who twisted your arm into hunting in Montana? I think you willing ponied up the money to pay for a license, nobody held a gun to your head and said pay it or else. You decided that it was worth it to you because you chose to spend your money hunting as a NR rather then going to Vegas or some other activity.

As a matter fact I do know exactly how much we would have to raise resident hunting license to cover all the costs that that NR put into the dept for such programs as Block Management. There were 130,000 resident license sold in Montana last year and 17,000 NR license. NR funded approximately $3.7 million in the BMA program, if we raised resident fees by $30 130,000x$30=$3.9 million. $30 is less then half a tank of gas. So don't think that we have to worship at the NR hunters feet.

If the fees are so out of line why to you continue to come? If for only one season NR hunters didn't show up because the fees are too high the dept would have a reason to lower them. What incentive does the FWP have for reducing NR hunting fees if there are more applicants and willing payers then there are licenses? Have you consider most NR hunters don't flock to PA to have a once in lifetime Elk/mule deer/pronghorn antelope/pheasant/sage/hen/moose/big horn sheep/mountain goat etc etc hunt? Do you suppose that there is more game and more access in a State like Montana then in all of Penn. You have a record number of Whitetails but nowhere near the variety and lenght of season a state like Montana has. Therefore there is more demand to hunt in a place like Montana then in PA.

Nemont

PS. There is no way you drove from PA out to Montana and back for $300 worth of gas and only ate $45 worth of food. It is a minimum 2 day drive both ways. 3,600 miles. I just drove it months ago and gas cost us $475 and we average right at 20 MPG. Tell me where you are eating for $5 a day?
Old 01-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

There were 130,000 resident license sold in Montana last year and 17,000 NR license.
Since you looked the other info up, what portion of those 17,000 NR bought the deer/elk combo lic? and what portion of the 130,000 residents bought the same lic?
Old 01-15-2008, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Buckshot

There were 130,000 resident license sold in Montana last year and 17,000 NR license.
Since you looked the other info up, what portion of those 17,000 NR bought the deer/elk combo lic? and what portion of the 130,000 residents bought the same lic?
It doesn't matter whether or not a resident purchased a combo license or not. All that would have to done is add a $30 surcharge to every resident license sold it would generate all the money that NR license fees to. In addition it would allow NR fees to probably come down. First of all you wouldn't have to pay so much to fund the block management program, which is funded almost exclusively by NR right now (plus a paltry amount by residents and some Pittman-Robertson funds).

In addition is most likely would allow the end of the outfitter set aside which means all 7,500 license allotted to outfitters would be put back into the general drawing, giving more average Joe's a chance to draw. Outfitter leasing and tying up property would most likely be reduced because there is no longer a guarantee. A hunter then could choose whether they wished to hire an outfitter or not.

In my scenario it would not matter if a Resident bought only a waterfowl and upland bird license a $30 surcharge would be added.

Why don't you answer the question about why you continue to come out if the price for licenses is out of line. Seems you would be part of the problem because as NR you continue to pay the"ridiculous".

I understand the cost associated with hunting as a NR and since it is my passion I will pay whatever it takes to participate in the sport without whining. Again if you wish to be on the same footing then move.

Nemont
Old 01-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

Why don't you answer the question about why you continue to come out if the price for licenses is out of line. Seems you would be part of the problem because as NR you continue to pay the"ridiculous".
For arguements sake, lets say, that all of the 130,000 residents purchased elk/deer lic, the total cost for all those residents is 4,550,000 dollars and if all of the 17,000 non residents purchased the same lic. the total is 10,931,000, Yeah thats equitable LMAO.

Your darn straight, thats it in its entirety. REREAD MY POST. The price of an a non resident lic. is rediculous.
I understand the cost associated with hunting as a NR and since it is my passion I will pay whatever it takes to participate in the sport without whining. Again if you wish to be on the same footing then move
Show me one place where I said non residents should be on the same footing, come show me, try reading my entire post next time, it will save alot of confusion. Youll pay whatever it takes without whining, give me a freaking break, when 30-40 percent of your F/W service is funded by non residents and they make up 10 percent of the total hunting population, someing wrong. I dont have a problem with us being limited to a certian percentage of the tags, I just have a problem with us having to fund a drasticly higher percentage of your F/W.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

How is the Montana price rediculous? I mentioned the prices of elk tags for non residents in other western statesabove in a post beforeand Montana fits right into what all the other states are charging for the elk tags in those states. And those states all basically use the guidelines of 10% of the totaltags of the drawsgoing to the non-residents vers the residents. Isevery western state wrong in how they do things and the systems they use?

Quick Reply: HELP!!! - Archery in Montana Threatened

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.