Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Hunting in Southern California? >

Hunting in Southern California?

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Hunting in Southern California?

Old 12-12-2007, 08:10 PM

Default Hunting in Southern California?

I just found out today that I will be stationed (Navy) in San Diego starting this June for a minimum of 1 year and possibly more.
Being born and raised in the midwest and a die-hard hunter, my biggest fear (besides wildfires) is that I won't be able to hunt anywhere near San Diego. Is there much hunting in Southern Cali? If so, what does one hunt? I usually hunt deer (whitetail), squirrel, rabbit, and pheasant.

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2007, 11:56 AM

Default RE: Hunting in Southern California?

I live in the Sacramento area so I am not that familiar with the hunting around San Diego. The best hunting is on private lands. There are wildlifeareas owned by the State open to all hunters and you can get information on them if you go to the California DFG web-site. While rarely crowded, success on these lands is not guaranteed. For example,last Saturday I went pheasant hunting at the 750 acre Feather River Wildlife Area north of Sacramento and had the whole place to myself, I did not see any other hunters; however, I also did not see a single pheasant either.

Caldoc
Old 12-13-2007, 06:05 PM

Thanks. Doesn't sound too promising so far, but I'll be an intern so I won't have too much free time anyway!
Old 12-14-2007, 06:31 PM

I don't really hunt down that direction much, but there is some hunting down there. You will need to do a bit of homework though. There are turkeys, muleys and bandtail pigeons around Palomar mountain which is pretty close to SD (maybe an hour or so). The Imperial Valley is 1.5 - 2 hours away and there is dove, quail, waterfowl and I have heard that run their hound for racoon is the irrigaton canals. There are also a few pheasants in the valley, but I have heard that they are pretty scarce these days. If you like offshore fishing SD is the place in the summer and fall for various tuna species. Anyhow there is some hunting, but you will need to find someone who knows the area.
Good luck and thanks for keeping our country safe.
Dan
Old 12-17-2007, 12:37 PM

Dan,
Thanks for the info! I'm more than willing to put in the windshield time to get some hunting in when I can.
I'm proud to serve, but to be honest, I'm not the one keeping our country safe, my job is to keep those who keep us safe healthy and heal them when they aren't!

Take care,
Dusty
Old 12-17-2007, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

Here, let me save you. There is more hunting then you would think in San Diego. For upland hunting you will have Dove, Quail, Pheasants and Turkey (considered upland in S.D.) all with in 90 minutes or less. Ducks are about the same but some of the best opportunity in S.D. Deer gets a bit tricky but archery is the best season and access to lands. Most people would not think so, but Cali has great hunting and hunting grounds. PM me for more info. Good luck.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:23 PM

Sounds great!!!! Thanks!
Old 01-01-2008, 10:59 PM
usa
Fork Horn

let me know when you arrive in SD and are ready to check out hunting area's, I live and hunt in So Cal and have hunted SD county for 25 yr's, if you're not looking for trophy's and can put up with too many hunters in the wood's then you'll have a good time. theres always something to hunt but I mostly hunt coyote's , camel is right that the best deer hunting is with a bow, [email protected]
Old 01-02-2008, 12:53 PM

USa,
Will do!
I don't care about trophy's, I just want to hunt! Don't have a bow yet, but it sounds like I will have to get one. I would definitely be up for some 'yote hunting. I'll probably need to get a varmint gun as all I have is a 20ga 870 Remington with slug and field interchangable barrels.

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Typical Buck

I hunted Cali for many years and thought just like USA, Too Many Hunters! I have hunted South Dakota, Idaho, Colorado, and Kansas in recent years and saw no reduction in the number of hunters. I fact, many other great hunting states see more people than Cali ever will. Hit up Pa. during deer season... Don't let people scare you off, just hunt!

Quick Reply: Hunting in Southern California?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.