HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   West (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west-28/)
-   -   Where to Hunt Elk? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west/209623-where-hunt-elk.html)

RandallT 09-30-2007 06:44 PM

Where to Hunt Elk?

If you had a chance to hunt elk once in your lifetime where and when would you go? I have not ever hunted elk so I am looking at a guided hunt. Don't have time to spend 2 or 3 weeks learning an area and learning animal habits etc., so I want to make the most of the week I will have. I am also looking for the total experience of a western wilderness hunt, so I would prefer a pack in horseback situation where you would most likely not see another hunter. (another reason for a guide, I don't have horses or this type of equipment)

I appreciate any advice etc as I am just beginning the information gathering process. If it takes a few years to draw that is OK as well, I will begin applying in 08.

eatsleephunt 09-30-2007 08:43 PM

RE: Where to Hunt Elk?

Look towards Wyoming, Montana or Idaho. Elk hunts are something you can find reasonably priced and still have the chance to take an above average animal.

drs1961 10-01-2007 07:20 AM

Ron Dube in Wyoming. Horseback way back in the wilderness to an authenic western tent camp.Very high success rates. Unquestionable ethics. Their has been numerous videos and articles written about him. First class operation.

Painted Horse 10-01-2007 01:42 PM

George and Larry run a good camp in Idaho near Challis.
They work hard and have a good success rate

http://www.wildidahooutfitters.com/

camelcluch 10-01-2007 04:49 PM

There are so many good choices. I would look at the terrain you may like to hunt. That may help single out the area and state you would like to hunt. I hunted in north Idaho and that was straight up and down. Here in Colorado I have hunted high mountains and the lower elevations. You may also want to try a combo the hunt with deer. Check state regs for seasons and tag availablity. Good luck.

bronko22000 10-24-2007 06:31 AM

For a 'once in a lifetime' elk hunt I would probably look hard at New Mexico or Arizona, even Utah. For some reason lately the elk seem to be averaging bigger in htese areas. Your best bet would be a private ranch with limited game quotas.
I'm heading to WY next week on a private ranch hunt. My outfitter only drew 2 elk tags this year (me and my friend). Talking to him earlier this week he said we will each shoot a nice bull. (I hope) He takes terminally ill children out on those "Hunt of a Lifetime" hunts every year. He had a young boy that he said won't make it to Christmas out last week and got him a nice 6x6.
This outfitter is a nice, honest and ethical man. He also attends all the big outdoor shows in PA, MI, etc. If you get a chance, look him up. Bruce Ferri, Canyon Creek Outfitters, Ennis, MT

forestcure 10-24-2007 12:35 PM

I would look into Southeast Idaho. That area houses some big boys and it is so far away from everything it is seldom hunted.

tempehunter 10-26-2007 01:01 PM

Easy--- San Carlos Indian reservation in Arizona. No tags available for draw. Only those with mucho bucks to spend have the privlige to hunt this breeding ground for trophy elk!!!!!!!!! The largest elk in the world are often found in AZ, San Carlos is where the monsters go to get away from hunting pressure.

rbullom 10-29-2007 08:12 PM

Once in a lifetime......Depends on your pocket book. Agree with bronko and if you have the $ the indian reservations in Arizona. The other good location is Nevada. But the overall experience is as important as the bull once you get to the 350 class in my view. Colorado has some good private ranches in the Trinidad (south along the New Mexico border) and a couple places up in the North West Corner close the the Utah / Wyoming Border for some real big bulls.The 2 of the 3 bulls killed with the Colorado Governors tag over the last 3 years come from the NW corner in Unit 2 or 201. Plan on $10,000 plus for one of these private ranches. Utah has some big time bulls coming out of several areas.

tempehunter 11-03-2007 11:51 AM

For now I will just keep putting in for great draws and never get picked. Hey there is always next year