HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   West (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west-28/)
-   -   any R.I.F.L.E. HUNTERS ??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west/207841-any-r-i-f-l-e-hunters.html)

SILVERTIP-CO 09-19-2007 09:29 PM

any R.I.F.L.E. HUNTERS ???

I'd like to make friends with some rifle hunters. Rifle big bame, rifle small game, rifle rifle, rifle. It seems everywhere I go to chat, post, or just bs the dang archery nutz just take over the whole place. I bowhunt too but believe me, it aint 'that' great.I've stopped talking and calling my friends who are bowhunters. Just cant handle it all any more. Ibelonged for yrs to BSOTH then BushnellOutdoors then HuntingResource.com then Realtree. Have been here in HuntingNet.comfor yrs. It just seems everywhere I go to find rifle/hunt chat that the dang stickthrowers take over. Theyre even worse than the turkey hunters. I may make a fire in my yard and use our bows for fuel. HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPP...

longknife12 09-21-2007 04:43 AM

RE: any R.I.F.L.E. HUNTERS ???

Gimmie a PM, I deon't bow but hunt rifle/shotgun/pistol.
Dan

deerhuntress56 09-21-2007 09:59 AM

:)No bowhunting for me either!! Been out west numerous times with R I F L E and taken antelope, mountainlion, buffalo, elk, muley...... all with my Weatherby 270 mag!! A real SWEET rifle!!

How's your season going so far, Silver???

Paula

SILVERTIP-CO 09-21-2007 05:55 PM

Thx for responding friends, I thot maybe I was the last rifle hunter in the world.

longknife12 09-21-2007 06:43 PM

Nah, I live in Littleton, wife/ family, kids shoot rifle and hunt. I have hunted Gore Pass area for years. Shoot over at Clear Creek County. Going deer 1st combined....going solo this time, son...EMT...has got to work that weekend.
Dan

onebigelk 09-22-2007 10:20 AM

Hey Silvertip sounds like your a little on edge. Its ok let that steam off;). I bow hunt but i don't consider myself a bowhunter just a hunter that likes being in the outdoors every chance i get taking all game with any legal method i can. Since you want to talk rifle. Lets. I'm comming to CO in oct for my first elk hunt. I've killed many whitetail in MO with my 30-06 and am bringing it to elk hunt. I have read other posts in the past about balistics for elk hunting, but do have any suggestions on grain and bullet type for elk?

frontier gander 09-22-2007 11:24 AM

i muzzleload only. Rifle hunting is to easy and just not any fun for me.

drs1961 09-24-2007 07:39 AM

ORIGINAL: SILVERTIP-CO

Thx for responding friends, I thot maybe I was the last rifle hunter in the world.
There's still some of us here. Since the wheel, man's greatest invention, GUN POWDER! There's nothing like the smell of burnt powderafter sending one down range towards some fresh meat for the freezer. Black, rifle, or pistol powder, it's all good. Good Luck this season and burn some powder!!!

SILVERTIP-CO 09-24-2007 11:07 AM

Thanks for the support. Hope to meet and rifle hunt with y'all one day.

camelcluch 09-24-2007 04:41 PM

You know I have no problem with the rifle. I do enjoy a bow hunt but I will never so no to using my rifle.

SILVERTIP-CO 09-25-2007 07:18 AM

ORIGINAL: camelcluch

You know I have no problem with the rifle. I do enjoy a bow hunt but I will never so no to using my rifle.
You was the best spotter I ever had. Sorry I missed so many antelopes cause my scope was off.That will NOT ever happen again.

Wife and Ilove bowhunting too, just think bowhunters are a pain in the(well frankly everywhere). After Oct I'll be setting up her bow so she can practice in yard here. We can shoot 40 yards just back of the house( or 247yrds if the neighbors dont mind). If she shoots as good with it as with her 30-06 (many many sub-1" groups at 105yrds)she otto do really well.

Iemailed ya.

Power 09-25-2007 04:09 PM

I'm right there with ya. I'm a rifle nut through and through. I love my Tikka, it's my favorite firearm and I'm happy talking about anything that is related to it's proper and intended use. Reloading, scopes, bullets, brass, primers, shooting sticks, slings, anything rifle related, you've found my magic button. I'm not a pro, never been to a competition, I'm just an enthusiast that loves to feel the punch of my 7mm RM and the smell of freshly burnt powder.

PM me, email me, or whatever, I'm happy talking anything to do with ~3,000 fps projectiles!

DGH 09-27-2007 10:04 AM

I am almost as far west as you can go:) And I am an avid rifle hunter. Blacktail, pigs, varmits, and targets - hello from West Central CA - drop me a line if you ever come this way, if nothing else, I can give you pointers on sighting in your rifles - believe me, a 100 yard zero will leave you frustrated! Oh, I do have two bows, but they are used strictly for hogs.

Elk2901 10-06-2007 09:31 PM

oneBigElk - 30.06 with 165 grain Nolser Partition Spire Point bulletwill work fine. If you are in dark timber you may want to go to 180s. There are some other premium ammo that will work equally as well if your rifle likes them. Nolser AccuBondswill also work good on elk and should be a little cheaper.

Power 10-07-2007 01:54 AM

Ya, I used to keep a 22 in the truck until it was stolen while parked in my driveway. I've shot a few grouse with my rifle but only on rare occasion.

Most of the time I try to use the ol' 12gauge though..

laufer303 10-09-2007 05:27 PM

Go rifles!!!!

Bullwinkle358 10-16-2007 06:06 PM

I hunt exclusively with a rifle (other than birds). I don't know anyone who bowhunts so I never got intoit. Anyone who says rifle hunting is not a challenge hasn't hunted fair chase out west where game animals are notrunning rampant likevarnmits.

RandyA 10-16-2007 06:25 PM

Rifle here, but I do bow hunt. I prefer rifle, easiest elk I have ever killed were with a bow, same for deer. If i had to choose, it would be my rifle.:D

Diggerr 10-17-2007 08:13 PM

I'm a gun hunter, any type of gun I have to say. Give me a PM I'll talk with ya

Hopefully in the near future I'll be shooting High Power Rifle Competition with my New M1A

ssamss 10-17-2007 09:31 PM

I'm looking for someone to go elk hunting with this year

ssamss 10-17-2007 09:32 PM

I'm looking for someone to elk hunt with this year

ssamss 10-17-2007 09:34 PM

ssamss 10-17-2007 09:35 PM

mr-pirk 10-20-2007 06:51 PM

Hello SSamss

Welcome to the site. I don’t know if Frozen-disk<sp> is still around, but he is a very nice fellow that might have room for one more. He was very kind to me when I was considering switching from hunting Colorado to Idaho.
Check the members list and send him a PM.

Thanks
Mr-Pirk

madmax83192 11-04-2007 07:48 PM

i couldnt live without my 270:D

tangozulu 11-04-2007 08:48 PM

I love my 30/06 but am not a gun nut..................just a hunting nut.
As a Canuck I was wondering if most American hunters were now bow hunters?
To each his own but I won't switch untillI have to in order to keep hunting. I guess we don't have enough hunters in BC to force the issue.
I have never met a bow hunter in the field.
I feel I could take game using archery but concentrate on taking quality animals with a rifle. While I think taking sheep would be very difficult with archery equipment, I have taken elk at very close range with my winchester.
Too me the classic elk hunt is horseback and with a .270
I guessI grew up with Jack O'Connor.

coloradobuck 11-04-2007 09:34 PM

no bow hunting for me just rifle!

SILVERTIP-CO 11-05-2007 04:59 PM

thank you all for the replies.