HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   West (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west-28/)
-   -   Question about ATV use in WY (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west/199131-question-about-atv-use-wy.html)

NJheadhunter71 07-25-2007 10:58 AM

Question about ATV use in WY

I drew a deertag for region R which is around the BigHorn area and had a question about using ATV's out there. Can you use them on BLM and national forest?What are the restrictions as far as off road/trail use? I don't plan to road hunt using it but it would be nice to drive a distance to get away from the roads, park then spot and stalk and also game retrievel. Also what is the best way to huntmulies out there? I have ideas and have been reading alot.

Wheatley 07-25-2007 01:25 PM

RE: Question about ATV use in WY

You can ride them on the marked trails in the NF. I am not sure what the regulations are for NR but all of them require an ORV license/sticker. You may want to check into that before you go.

NJheadhunter71 07-25-2007 02:29 PM

Thanks wheatley, I did seeyou neededthe ORVpermit but was wondering also about where to get trail maps and other area maps. I called the BLM field office and can order maps but the my dilema at this pointis where to hunt?Never being out there before i feel like I should just close my eyes and play pin the tail on the hunting spot! I don't want to drive around amlesslyat first light wondering where Ishould startat. I have been looking at the arials of certain areas but don't know what areas hold more deer than others? Should I look at the meadows more? areas with water? cover? food source? avoid people or other terrain? I am looking at a hunting area about the size of my entirestate and and it gets a little confusing on where to go. I have marked some spots on my GPS so maybe that is a good start. I go through the same ritual every time I go hunting in a new state/area I have never been to.

usa 07-25-2007 05:00 PM

NJ, go over to MonsterMuleys forum and ask for help, they won't give you any honey holes but they should put you into the right area, another way is do a search both here and MM for wyo bighorns and go over the conversations sometimes you can glean good info, good luck

wyotimberghost 07-25-2007 09:19 PM

I think you may be allowed to drive a short distance off of the road for game retrieval, but I can't remember how far exactly.

In all honesty, though, it'd be best if you just stayed on the roads/trails. There's a real problem here with irresponsible ATV users going off of the trails and tearing stuff up. They give us all a bad name and if the idiots keep it up they're going to ruin it for everyone. I'm not saying you're irresponsible- I just think it's better for everyone if ATV's stay on the roads/trails. There are more than enough ORV trails to get you in the general area where you want to hunt (get a free ORV map to see all of them), and some of them are plenty rough if you're just looking for a challenging ride. Besides, deer don't weigh that much. Dragging them out isn't that hard if you just halve them.

manboy 07-25-2007 09:54 PM

it's 300 ft. in blm, or state land.
where is region r? is it above buffalo, or east of ten sleep? if so i was up there last weekend, and you would have to be blind not to see a half dozen 4-5pt 24" bucks, we saw one that would go 180" 6x5. we got out the truck and was withen 20 yards when he finally left!

billybob1234 07-26-2007 01:10 AM

manboy,
I think your dead on with the 300 ft in NF and as far as BLM and state land I think they mostly say no trailblazing

manboy 07-26-2007 12:27 PM

well if you go down to the thunder basin grassland you will see the signs.;)

Wheatley 07-26-2007 03:28 PM

I was up camping around the Meadowlark lake area over the 4th and there were alot of deer in the low meadows in the evenings. I seen two pretty good size bucks and alot of smaller bucks. There are alot of trails everywhere so you should have alot of areas to pick from.

I road the Motorcycle, 4-wheeler and ranger up to east ten sleep and that is some rough riding but it is an awesome place. I bow hunted there years ago with my brother and there is a lookout tower just west of Meadowlark lake and we seen all kinds of deer around there. We were talking to a local at the lodge and he said they counted 25-30 bucks on one hill in one night the week before.

There are good numbers of deer, good luck.

wyotimberghost 07-26-2007 10:11 PM

wheatley and manboy- I just looked and region R is on the other side of the mountains (shell canyon, paint rock lakes, medicine wheel area).

I did see a pile of deer heading up 14A (the highway from Lovell to Burgess Junction) back in May. That was before the entire highway was open, though. I had to turn around at the top of the grade and haven't gone back that way since. Closest I've been to region R since then was up to Burgess Junction and Granite Pass. I'm probably heading up to the Passage for the all-you-can-eat seafood buffet Saturday night, so if I take a drive towards the medicine wheel to look at moose I'll let you know about all of the deer I see.[8D]

There are always deer around. Just a matter of finding them, because come rifle season you'll have to look a heck of a lot harder than you do during the summer.;)