HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   West (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west-28/)
-   -   Idaho Elk Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west/198083-idaho-elk-hunting.html)

loverboy9_1_1 07-17-2007 07:16 PM

Idaho Elk Hunting

How is the Idaho Elk hunting in Targhee and Caribou National Forest?

cravingame 07-19-2007 09:52 AM

RE: Idaho Elk Hunting

Caribou sucks. Been twice and got skunked both times. To many hunters and not enough elk. The smallish bulls that are there are so call shy because of hunt pressure. They allow a big spike hunt each year and it really hurts the quality of the bulls in the area. I would go farther north or into WY. Best of luck to ya.

bubbabucksmasher 08-14-2007 12:21 PM

What did you decide to do? I am going hunting in the diamond creek unit (66a and 76)in Caribou-Targhee next month and I am trying to glean any bit of info I can. I have been doing a lot of research and talking to folks up there if your still going, maybe I can help you out to.

loverboy9_1_1 08-14-2007 06:05 PM

bubba
I am going to the Diamond creek unit 66a and 76 also. Ive been talking to elk hunters on here and also called a Conservation Officer I know out there for advice.

bubbabucksmasher 08-15-2007 07:39 AM

loverboy, p.m. sent.

Anybody else have any experience in the area?

xss5 08-01-2008 04:06 AM

Very nice place for hunting. Just visit and enjoy the forest.
Idaho Treatment Centers

Muliefever 08-01-2008 09:05 AM

To say elk hunting Sucks is a very broad and poor statement! Expecially from some one from the carolina's! ;) The problem with the area is everyone hunts over there. Don't get me wrong there are some huge bulls takin from that side of the state every year. If you do enough research and talk to the right people you can have a great hunt! On Idaho's fish and game website there is a link called Access Yes. Check that out. Big properties opened up to hunt by landowners. You just contact them and they tell you when you can hunt. Works great! Good luck!

Wlfdg 08-09-2008 11:23 PM

I live in 65 and hunt 67. The animals are here for sure. You have to be willing to hike. You have to go where the horses and ATV's can't. That is where the animals are.

Tough hiking. Steep canyon walls, lots of tight veg growth and downfall.

Have seen quite a bit of grizz sign this summer. Big trees clawed over 7 ft. high.

It is heavily hunted and the trophy bulls are wiley! Over and over I hear that there are no elk in Idaho, "they are shy because we drive and drive all day and never see a thing." ;)

hdbowtie 08-24-2008 07:25 AM

Muliefever, saying, "especially from the Carolinas" is a very broad and poor statement. I have also hunted unit 76, 66a, and the statement, " the hunting sucked" is right on. If everytime you get a bull to answer, and you run into five other hunters who are trying to get ahead of you is considered a good hunt, then maybe you should stay in Michigan. The word huntis a BROAD word that includes a lot more than if there are some decent elk in the area. Unit 76 and 66a are WAY over hunted and too many tags issued. I hunted there many years, and every year has gotten worse. Even being from NC, I assure you that I have spent more time in the woods than you could imagine. Just because the land isn't as steep doesn't mean that someone from NC doesn't know what is considered a good hunt.