HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   West (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west-28/)
-   -   Sacramento CA (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west/197099-sacramento-ca.html)

cptleo1 07-09-2007 06:48 PM

Sacramento CA

My company is wanting to transfer me out there.

I have been dragging my feet, trying to find out about

BP shooting/hunting.

Can anybody shed any light on this place ?

I Know nothing about CA. (Last time I was there they sent me to SE Asia)

Vilkas 07-12-2007 11:17 PM

RE: Sacramento CA

Obvioulsy it depends on where you are from, but Sacramento is a good place to live. Centrally located for hunting (especially birds), fishing is great, skiing is 1-1/2 hours away and you can drive down the hill and golf the same day. As far as deer, go west to hunt blacktails, east to hunt mulies. If you are used to whitetails, you will have a big adjustment. First off, get used to hunting in the heat as most general seasons are early. If you start hunting blacktail, good luck as they are the toughest foe of then all.

camelcluch 07-15-2007 11:02 PM

I know that a lot of people get down on Cali, but it really is a decent state. The duck population is awesome, especially around Sac. Up in No. Cal. is some decent deer, hog, and turkey hunting. Quail are all over the state. In fact, if it was just hunting, the Sac area is a good pick. Cali has a great WRA program for duck hunting too. I know that Wister is only a few dollars a day to hunt. Good luck!!

DGH 07-18-2007 06:11 PM

Sacramento, and in fact, all of northern and central CA. has fantastic hunting. Blacktail all the way from westof Bakersfieldto the Oregon border (okay, I know the DFG classifies the A zone as mule deer), Mule deer all the way up the entire eastern side of the state; Hog hunting everywhere; bears up the wazoo, and tons of public ground to hunt with high game populations assuming you are willing to walk.And then there is thedove, quail, ducks, geese, rabbits, varmits,preditors, andturkeys coming along,not to menting the Delta, the lakes, etc. with huge BASS and Trout.If you are worried about hunting, stop and move! Email me if you come and I can get you started on some great areas to hunt - but be warned, if you are from back east and huntbig game over food plots, or out of stands with a "harvest one" attitude, and are used to100 yard shots, you will absolutely need a new rifle, and you will absolutely have to change your hunting technique:). On the other hand, when you get your first Blacktail, you will have taken the second most challenging big game animal to hunt in the entire U.S.

From Sacramento, you are within three hours of every species mentioned, and in some areas, the hunting is exceptional.

billybob1234 07-18-2007 06:53 PM

Sac is a pretty decent area. I was born and raised an hour from sac and went to college in sac. but now i live in Wyoming. I will say this for Ca in general that it has the most diverse hunting in the lower 48. for deer you can hunt blacktails mulies and hybrids. two or three types of elk, antelope, pheasants, ducks, geese, turkey, quail, you name it and most of it you can hunt on public land. One piece of advice is to put in for the special draw hunts. Cahas trophy quality that would compete with any other western state.

camelcluch 07-19-2007 08:21 AM

I would say that Cali is probabaly the most under rated state. There is a ton of public land and it is about the only place I know you can shoot a turkey and surf before noon.

usa 07-24-2007 12:06 AM

I agree, I'm pro Ca but on the down side its hot as hades in the summer and sometimes lots of fog to deal with, my suggestion would be to live up the hill a ways and commute to sac, but all in all its a great place to live.