Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Moving to Wyoming >

Moving to Wyoming

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Moving to Wyoming

Old 06-25-2007, 04:52 PM

Default Moving to Wyoming

Just wondering if anyone here lives near Cody, Wyoming. I'll be moving there after school this August and wondering what it's like out that way, hunting wise. Any insight would be fantastic. Thanks Matthew
Old 06-25-2007, 05:34 PM

Default RE: Moving to Wyoming

Never hunted there, but I have spent a decent amount of time in the area.

Mountains to the south and west. There are some big elk and some big mulies in the mountains and the foothills. There are also a ton of grizzlies and wolves. Pack pepper spray and/or a firearm. To the south near Meeteetsee in the foothills there are some big deer as well, but the tag is hard to draw and most of the land is private. There are some antelope to the east of town in the desert. If you can draw the tag, there are bighorn sheep in the mountains and mountains goats as well. Same goes for moose. Not a whole lot in the way of waterfowl hunting, but there are some birds around. If you're big into waterfowl, you'll have a lot more luck in the Bighorn River by Thermopolis. There are chuckars and huns in the area as well. And if you want a change of scenery, the Bighorn mountains are not far to the east. The local Game and Fish office could probably tell you more than I can.

If I were you, I'd make friends with someone who has horses real quick so that you can pack back into the mountains and take a crack at a trophy bull elk.

Also, though not hunting related, rafting/kayaking on the Shoshone River that runs through the edge of town is a lot of fun. A few of the waves get really good during runoff when the water is high, and its a good way to stay cool during the summer. Most people put in to the west of WalMart at the end of a dirt road (can't remember the name of the road) and take out below the bridge on the highway to Powell.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

I was to Cody for a two day trip in Feb 06. Nice place. I liked it a lot. Good luck on your move there.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:56 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Seems like it'll be a nice place. I definitely hope it's more relaxing. MJ
Old 06-27-2007, 06:02 PM

ya lots of grizz in the mountains to the west but good hunting and fishing.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

Beautiful place. The well known outfitter Ron Dube lives right down the road in Wapiti and said he picked that area out of the whole country years ago. Buffalo Bill's Irma Hotel in town is just like stepping into a cowboy movie. Also the Winchester museum is there. Elk and deer come down out of the mountains to right outside of town when the snows come. I can't wait to get back out there!
Old 06-29-2007, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also, there is a sierras trading post outlet there--They've got great deals from time to time on lots of outdoor gear. There was a lake I fished out there called (appropriately) Monster lake. I hear it is private now but there are other lakes close by with big trout. Don't worry, you are moving right in to a "calendar spot" for hunting and fishing.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:02 PM

I live about 30 miles south of Cody. Everybody pretty well covered whats in the area.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:10 PM

ORIGINAL: wyote

I live about 30 miles south of Cody. Everybody pretty well covered whats in the area.
If you live out on the south fork, I'm jealous. I love that area.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:13 PM

ORIGINAL: wyotimberghost

ORIGINAL: wyote

If you live out on the south fork, I'm jealous. I love that area.
I wish.

I live in Meeteetse

Quick Reply: Moving to Wyoming

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.