Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

NW MT

Old 03-01-2007, 04:20 PM

Default NW MT

My buddy just bought 20 acres some where off the Yak river road. Heading up there for spring bear & deer & elk this fall. Was curious about size, sucess rates, as well will be tenting it so about the griz ..........?

Thanks
Old 03-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: NW MT

I have only been up there a few times.Beautiful country allot of thick timber. Good luck hunting
Old 03-02-2007, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

It is pretty thick and brushy country, lots of lodgepole, and fir. Lots of bears, some upwards of 300 pounds. Walk the gated logging roads, the ones with good lush grasses, glass old clearcuts or burns that haven't grown in yet, you will see bears. Learn your bears, size and species, some are tricky, just so you don't shoot a 150 pound babyor a g-bear. Big whiteys and some nice muley bucks. Not tons of elk, most will be raghorns and small 6s. There was a guy a several years ago that pumpkined a bull that went 400 up there. There are griz, I wouldn't lose any sleep over them, keep your food away from your tent and don't even keep a granola bar near you. You probably won't even see one or signs of one.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the input gents !