Colorado GMU 61 & 62

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Colorado GMU 61 & 62

Old 01-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Colorado GMU 61 & 62

Unit 60
Sinbad Valley divides the western higher elevations, sloping down from the La Sal Mountains, from the isolated steep walled mesas to the east. Vegetation descends from fir/aspen forests to oak and pinyon juniper woodlands.

Unit 61 & 62
These units are characterized by canyon systems draining off the Uncompahgre Plateau forming isolated northeast southwest trending mesas. Higher elevations consist of aspen/fir stands separated by sagebrush flats, mid elevations of mountain brush, and lower regions of pinyon juniper woodlands.

after reading WWhunter u might wanna try a differnt area these units were nominated by the colrado division of wildlife

More on the Nominated Units
Five nomination proposals were received and reviewed at the July 1 Wildlife Commission meeting. The individuals or groups that proposed managing these additional units provided documentation showing support from local stakeholders in those areas.
Four DAUs met the required nomination criteria set by the Commission: DAU E-15 (GMUs 43 and 471 near Marble), DAU E-32 (GMUs 80 and 81 in the San Luis Valley), DAU E-41 (GMU 54) and DAU E-43 (GMUs 55 and 551 surrounding Gunnison). DAUs E-41 and E-43 were viewed as one during this process.
Nominated units were evaluated based upon the amount of public support for, and against, the change in management. The Commission decided after careful consideration not to add any of these proposed units.

GOOD LUCK
Old 01-23-2007, 07:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Geez! My head is spinning just from reading this! It sure makes me grateful for living in a state where such mind numbing bureacracy doesn't exist. No points, no GMUs, OTC tags in every county, no antler restrictions, simple game regs. [&:]

INDIANA
Old 01-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

I am planning to hunt Unit 62 for mule deer this fall, so I have learned a bit about elk hunting there through the course of my research. Rifle tags for 62 are over the counter, this is more commonly seen with bow tags, so don't expect the average ageclass of bulls to be high.

Several of the people I have talked to about mule deer hunting also held elk tags. All of them hunted for about a week, and only one guy saw a bull (a 5 pt.). Of course, this was in the early November rifle season when a good percentage of legal bulls have already been taken.

The fellow that described the plateau system did an accurate job. The only other thing I would mention is that glassing is limited the higher you go because the tops are flat. It is pretty difficult to find elevated spots that differ more than a couple of hundred feet from your surroundings unless you are looking down into a canyon, which is also a limited view.

The wind also comes from the southwest generally, so starting on top allows your scent to flow down these canyons as you move along or accross them.

Another point of interest, is that Colorado BLM really has no restrictions for ATV travel in this area. The Forest Service is trying to implement a usage plan on their stuff this year, but is not enforcing it (a game warden told me this).The number of ATV's the other guy saw while hunting in 62 are a product of a lot of available trails, and the ability to make new ones if you basically feel like it.

However, not to sound like a total downer, I think unit 62 has some remote areas which hold big deer and probably elk too. If you take the time to really research the area you might be surprised to find a great annual hunt with over-the-counter tags. Figure on hiking into areas with ATV restrictions (and there are some). I am not anti-ATV, I use one frequently during hunting season. I find it a luxury for moving a portable camp into areas I would otherwise not drive, or be able to drive and hunt from there. They are also great for retreival, and getting yourself out of the hills when your truck gets stuck. That didn't sound right, the truck can't get itself stuck-it's the dumb driver that figures that part out.

By the way, Oregon is over-the-counter for archery, and they have some pretty good elk hunting in the Blue Mountains and Hell's Canyon areas. If you want Roosevelt elk, I think the Tioga unit is pretty good, at least it was when I lived there. Montana is on a lottery basis where all non-residents need to apply for a general tag. There are only so many tags allocated to non-residents, but the tag is good from archery season to the end of rifle season.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

eatsleephunt,

What you have been told is pretty accurate. The best of luck to you. I have had luck in that area but haven't been back in a couple of years. The last time I went I got a little discourage from all the ATV's and you will be surprised how far out in the mountains you will find them. Like you were told...some people pretty much make their own trails and go where they want and from my point of view it has hurt the area. I will also add that I have never hunted that area during rifle season,I stopped hunting Elk with rifle and only hunt with bow or muzzleloader.

By the way...I saw the largest mule deer I have seen in my life in that area. It was nearly dark and I was bow hunting. I had thought it was an elk til I got closer. MONSTER!!!
Old 02-11-2007, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

mad maxx...where can i find that info please....thanks...
Old 03-04-2007, 06:43 PM

Fellas,

I appreciate the feedback and apologize for the delayed response to my own thread. We are planning on spending four days in mid August scouting with the hopes of identifying a promising area. I don't necessarily mind the ATV traffic, as we will have a machine with us; however, we plan on doing the spike camp thing for a fare portion of the trip. Sounds like the standard rules of thumb for public hunting - steeper and deeper. That being said, if I read between the lines, it may be time well spent on researching alternative OTC areas in SW CO.

Thanks again and all the best to each of you.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unit 61 Archery elk takes 8 to 9 preference points to draw a license. Pretty rough terrain but a really good unit. ML hunts in 61 take around 12-12 years to draw