Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Colorado GMU 61 & 62 >

Colorado GMU 61 & 62

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Colorado GMU 61 & 62

Old 12-20-2006, 09:08 PM

Default Colorado GMU 61 & 62

Greetings from Chicago, IL. I am in the process of planning a 2007 archery elk hunt (unguided, although we will scout the area this summer) and have been researching potential CO GMUs. We are looking into GMU 61 & 62 with the thought that if we are unable to obtain GMU 61 access (limited entry) we could hunt across the road in GMU 62. I would appreciate any input regarding (i) the general area - elk numbers, hunting pressure&landscape(ii) likelihood of drawing GMU 61 w/ no pref points (probably know the answer to this one), (iii)in your opinion, would we be best suited hunting the northern or southern end of the unit, and (iv) any additional insight one may be able to offer. A hearty thank you in advance for everyone's assistance.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Colorado GMU 61 & 62

Last I knew most people drawing permits in 61 or 62 were taking3to 5 pref. points.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:35 AM

Interesting. I was under the impression that GMU 62 was an over-the-counter area - not the easiest info to obtain through the CDOW website. Thanks for the feedback on the # of pref points.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:07 AM
Fork Horn

Go to www.huntodds.com they have all the answers to your PP questions.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

Deftoswi,

Sorry looks like I gave you some bad advice. I don't know how I saw that a mule deer rifle but I did. Came back to read the post and saw you were asking about elk and archery. I don't know what I was reading about mulies.

Anyway sorry for pointing you in the wrong direction.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:48 PM

BGHUNTEROO - I appreciate the info and will check it out.

Goatslayer- no worries, thanks.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:32 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

If you have zero CO points I'd highly recommend just applying for a CO point and then apply for tags in New Mexico & Montana. Oops, did MT go to elk points? Anyway NM is your best chance for a decent hunt. No point system. I hunted there a lot in my early years before my points got built up in other states.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:00 AM

you want unit 15, black mountain, area for archery elk. For 2 years, every elk hunter we ran into were calling in elk daily. Not many hunters either. Well i should say, not a lot of camps. There were about 6-7 days in one camp all hunting together and stayed in one big tent. Great area for big mule deer to.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:37 PM

Zim - Thank you for the info. We hunted Idaho in 2005 and were looking to try Colorado. I will look into MT and NM - would sure like to hunt elk in the southwest someday.

Frontier- I appreciate the response. Have not looked into Unit 15 yet, but will do so.

Happy New Year.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

deftoswi,

I have hunted that area for years but haven't been back there for about three years. The amount of archery/muzzleloader hunters was getting so a guy had to be there before season just to find a place to set up camp. And it was being over-run with 4-wheelers. I have nothing against them if they would drive out to the hunting area and hunt, but many were just tearing up and down the roads all day long road hunting.

I have been putting in for Area 61 for years and have never drawn yet. The last I had heard was it took about 9-10 pionts. But take that with a grain of salt. My buddy that lives there (resident) said it took him 7 or 9 years to get his tag there.

The reason for so many hunters in the area is that is is easy hunting as far as elk country goes. I used to hunt southern Co. in the San Juans, but after getting hurt in an auto accident with permanent injuries I had to give that area up....VERY rugged but good bulls in the area.

Good Luck!!

Quick Reply: Colorado GMU 61 & 62

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.