HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   West (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west-28/)
-   -   Eastern Washington Goers... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west/170754-eastern-washington-goers.html)

HeX0rz 12-17-2006 11:59 PM

Eastern Washington Goers...

Anyone from eastern Washington? I would be interested in how your luck was this year? I have only had action 1 day out of the season this year, and was mighty depressed about it. I was on private land that day, and still did'nt get a deer. Could have actually bagged one, but I was a little to careless. Other times I was always on state land, and had nothing! Never saw a single one.

I'm looking to find a good GMU to hunt in, but I'd like some feedback. Thinking about Sprague, Lancaster and St. John, or Colville National Forest.

cowboy4513 12-18-2006 08:30 AM

RE: Eastern Washington Goers...

Well i dont know if htis is what your looking for but I hunt in and around winthrop but im from michigan. I hunt there Idaho and here in Michigan everyyear send me a PM if you want to know any info.

yajsab 12-18-2006 08:42 AM

If you hunt deer, I've heard good things about coville and mt. spokane. What season are you hunting?

HeX0rz 12-18-2006 11:01 PM

Well, I don't particularly want topay hundreds of dollars to hunt deer in another state. Its hard enough to find deer here! Yea, Colville is what I think I may be doing next year. Its a big forest, and alot of animals high in the altitude! I went modern firearm hunting this year. Last year I tried doing it with a bow, and that was 10x harder for me. So I'm sticking to the gun for the while. Bad thing is, that alot of the land is just ridiculously thick brush. I barely have any fields to hunt.

yajsab 12-21-2006 08:43 AM

Well, not sure if you do your homework. I've hunted during modern and archery and it's not that bad. You just have to do your work first. I been to Colville once and tagged one. It's too far for me. I've hunted the west and usually get one. There are plenty of deers in our state. Good luck.

olickey 12-21-2006 10:23 PM

Hunted public land here in Spokane and saw a few deer(more yotes)but couldn't get a shot off.

Rooselk 12-24-2006 06:28 AM

I'm originally from Spokane and still get over there to visit friends, etc.There is certainly plenty of deer to be found on the public lands in that area. We used to hunt up near Chewelah and Colville. My buddy from Deer Parkstill hunts up there and usually has no problem getting his deer every year.

HeX0rz 12-24-2006 02:47 PM

My problem is that I don't necessarily know where prime areas are to actually start scouting. I understand you can go anywhere and do it, yes. But I would prefer to find a public land that has vast amounts of acreage so I know the land is only moderately hunted, or less. Nowhere near Spokane is there something of that sort except Mount Spokane or Colville. I have'nt been to Mt. Spokane yet, though. I have also heard from other hunters I've been with that most of our public land is to hard to hunt. Its been excessively hunted and/or pushed.

What would you guys think about putting a food plot on some public land? Or maybe just throw out a couple bales of hay with some alfalfa? Of course in a strategic location... I've just never really thought that it might be logical. Other hunters might find the spot and take a deer from it before me, huh? I bet it'd basically be investing into someone elses harvest.

haugenna 12-26-2006 10:50 PM

That would be considered baiting, which I believe is illegal.

usens 12-27-2006 11:35 AM

maybe this is what you are looking for.unit 113 selkirk its just out side of newport go to the bead and marshal lake area its got all kinds of state land there with mule and white tail there