My Top Five Moments This Hunting Season >

My Top Five Moments This Hunting Season

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

My Top Five Moments This Hunting Season

Old 12-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default My Top Five Moments This Hunting Season

5) Hunting in a heavy fog in November, a nice 2 year-old buck materialized out of the fog right in my lap at 50 yards. Not the biggest buck I saw this year, but it was just such a magical experience. I let him go.

4) In early September, I let out a cow call with no clear knowledge that any elk were near by. Next thing I know, I've got two bullsscreaming for my company, one on each side of me, both within 100 yards. I didn't get one, but the bigger of the two was a dandy 6 pointer in the 280 class. Took my knees a few minutes to get stable again.

3) On my first bugle of the season, I called in game. This game turned out to be a mama black bear with two cubs, who came running in to my bugle looking for fresh elk meat. We locked eyes for two indescribable seconds at 40 feet before she woofed and whirled away.

2) I spent most of an entire day working on a bull that wouldn't really bugle to my cowcalls or bugles, but just gave a kind of grunting moan. I've heard some real monster bull elk that will do like this. It took several hours to get him to come in, and he was a monster - bull moose! I've seen plenty of moose living in western MT, but this bull forced me to change my entire conception of what a big bull moose really is. This thing was an absolute monster, had to be B&C and then some. He stood and drooled at me for several minutes at about 40 yards.

1) On the second from the last day of the season, I nailed an old whitetail buck, way back in the woods. He was about 5 1/2 years old, but with a geneticallydefective rack. No matter, I was happy with him.I returned on the final day of the season to pack him out. As I walked back in that morning, I came upon a true monster whitetail buck. It took asecond for me to remember that I didn't have a tag left, but then I put my rifle back on my sling and just stood and enjoyed the sight. This buck was in full rut mode, striding through the woods like a king, using his antlers to whack the snow of brush in his path. He came inside 40 yards, and I'd put him solidly in the 140-class and 4 1/2 years old. I'll spend this winter imagining how big he could be next season!

Christmas greetings to all.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My Top Five Moments This Hunting Season

1) blonde boar 12 yards standing quick and easy kill

2) 18 or so yard antelope (going on the wall)

3) 30 yard elk ( the eating is great)

4) 62 yard mule deer ( my farthest bowkill yet)

5) hopefully # 5 will fall this weekend ( going after turkies)
Old 12-13-2006, 11:35 AM

Taking my 8 year old son bowhunting and him getting the chance to see an elk within 5 yards of us come in. Nothing will top this moment...
Old 12-13-2006, 01:41 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the input, I washoping that other people would add a moment or 5 or 10 from their hunting season.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:51 PM

3) I started taking my 6 1/2yr old boy with me on ducks and geese.
2) He likes hunting.
1) We had moderate succes, and he was so happy.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

#5 is complete, I took a tom turkey at 20 yards on saturday