what do you think of thier latest attempt to get MORE money from us with another permit drawing fee of $5.48 , and then another $164..25 if you get drawn If they're after money....they should SKIP the drawing and make it available to..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Washington Hunters...Multiple season permits..... >

Washington Hunters...Multiple season permits.....

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Washington Hunters...Multiple season permits.....

Old 05-01-2006, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Washington Hunters...Multiple season permits.....

I bought a elk one and didnt get drawn. I think some of you guys should quit worrying about what other people do with THEIR money.If I want to spend 164 bucksto try and shoot a branched bull Roosie then so be it. I would of hunted MR and ML and would of hunted on the other side "West" of the state for elk.

Old 05-09-2006, 05:26 AM

ORIGINAL: bdan68

Nope, not kidding at all. Who do you think would do a better job at managing our wildlife? What would you do different if you were them? Would you have more liberal or more restricted seasons? You seriously think they are "squeezing" money out of us? Heck you can get a deer, elk, bear, and cougar tag for what? $72.00??? Seems like a bargain to me.
Sorry been out of town. First of all anybody with some common sense could run the WDFW. For what you get most states are cheeper to hunt. What would I do if I were running the show, where would one start. The possablities are endless.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:27 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Brush hunter

Sorry been out of town. First of all anybody with some common sense could run the WDFW. For what you get most states are cheeper to hunt. What would I do if I were running the show, where would one start. The possablities are endless.
How are the possibilities endless when they have anti-hunters to contend with on one side of the spectrum, and on the other side hunters who insist on over-the-counter tags? They're trying to please everybody and maintain our wildlife, and that just is not and will never be an easy thing to do. I think they're doing a pretty good job considering what they've got to work with,which is the smallest western state anda human population onlysecond to California.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:07 AM

Your right the WDWF is trying to please everyone. However if they would just stick to manageing game we would all be better off. Let me ask you if I may, how long have you been hunting in Washington?
Old 05-10-2006, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

I agree, it would be better if they would only manage wildlife and not listen to what the people want. But again, that's a hard thing to do. Being a state agency they are under a lot of pressure to keep as many people happy as possible. They listen to us hunters because we provide their funding, through license fees. I would think that the more money we provide, the more influence we as hunters will have on the decisions they make, rather than the anti-hunters, and that's a good thing. For you to complain about the cost of licenses and tags is just asinine! Heck I can hunt deer, elk, cougar, bear, and grouse in this state for the same money it takes to fill the gas tank on my truck. That's pretty cheap entertainment if you ask me, when you consider those 5 species provide over 7 months of hunting seasons. Seriously if paying the $72 is a hardship on somebody, they probably shouldn't be hunting anyway, because there are a lot more expenses in hunting other than the licenses you have to buy. Now to answer your question...I've been hunting in Washington since I was 11, so that would be about 28 years.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: bdan68

I agree, it would be better if they would only manage wildlife and not listen to what the people want. But again, that's a hard thing to do. Being a state agency they are under a lot of pressure to keep as many people happy as possible. They listen to us hunters because we provide their funding, through license fees. I would think that the more money we provide, the more influence we as hunters will have on the decisions they make, rather than the anti-hunters, and that's a good thing. For you to complain about the cost of licenses and tags is just asinine! Heck I can hunt deer, elk, cougar, bear, and grouse in this state for the same money it takes to fill the gas tank on my truck. That's pretty cheap entertainment if you ask me, when you consider those 5 species provide over 7 months of hunting seasons. Seriously if paying the $72 is a hardship on somebody, they probably shouldn't be hunting anyway, because there are a lot more expenses in hunting other than the licenses you have to buy. Now to answer your question...I've been hunting in Washington since I was 11, so that would be about 28 years.

There is more money funding to the dept Of fish and wildlife that just from hunters, or fishermen.Excise tax is just for that purpose and a lot of big business" anti Hunters" pay for that; they also receive a certain amount of funds from the "federal" fish and wildlife dept also. Licenses is a big part of what finances the department but not in it's intirety. Personally I dont see where anyone has told anyone else what to do with THERE money. AllI have seen is opinions and concerns which is what these forums are all about. And I am in agreement with the others who say it's just another way of geting more money from us hunters. It's an issue of miss management especially when you have 88 dead elk in the field from the miss management aspects of there policies. those should have been food on some hunters table not a waste. of course you see where this will all lead to dont ya ?
Wolves can help manage it you watch and see folks it will come it's just a matter of time.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

Yes, it is a way to get money from hunters, but we are their customers and buying the product is voluntary, so I sure don't see a problem with that. And you're right, these forums are for voicing our opinions and that's exactly what we're doing, and there's nothing wrong with that either. Bottom line...for those with an extra $165 they wish to donate to the WDFW for the opportunity to have more hunting time, do it. I drew the elk and matter of fact I just got the letter in the mail yesterday telling me so, but this year I am going to choose not to spend the money. My permit will go to some lucky person on the alternate list. Kirkl maybe you'll get your elk permit yet.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

I am in agreeance that WDFW pretty much just loves money and doesn't give a darn about the wildlife. I have yet to see a Wildlife Biologist of any sort in the woods where I live. I am in the woods almost daily during the summer through winter months. How do they know how to manage wildlife that for all they know doesn't even exist. Take for instance Western Washington's Turkey season. I personally think I should be shut down and I hunt the darn things. Have for 6 years. Had an opportunity to harvest one this year but passed just because it was 1 of 2 toms I had heard of in the WHOLE COUNTY! Kill those two toms plus a couple more jakes and you aren't going to have turkeys to hunt in SW Washington. But I bet ya one thing, our DFW will still be selling those tags. Another example is the number of anterless permits for elk in SW Wash. I don't really like it. A couple of farmers complain and the WDFW opens anterless permit seasons for 15 day on/off intervals for4 months straight??I have steadily watched elk numbers fall (though there are increasing branch bulls #'s due to 3 pt. minumum) in recent years. Elk herds sizes are down from 40-60 to 8-35. The WDFW doesn't know these things because they aren't out there. They sit behind their desks and ask us. Well, what in the heck are they getting paid for?

That was long.. Just how I feel.. Had to vent.. Sorry..
Old 05-10-2006, 09:21 PM

That winter kill crap would have not happened if the Loo Wit unit had been opened (even as a specal hunt) the disabled hunter hunt was just a joke.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:32 PM

bdan68, the reasonI ask how long you've been hunting in Wash. because up untill the early 70's you didn't to buy a specal permit you could hunt bow, ML, MF. Although you did have to chose East or West side. I supect you won't remember that, not that it matters anyway. Where do you hunt Elk?

Quick Reply: Washington Hunters...Multiple season permits.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.