Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Anyone know about Winnet Montana? >

Anyone know about Winnet Montana?

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Anyone know about Winnet Montana?

Old 03-15-2006, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Anyone know about Winnet Montana?

I just found out my family owns land near Winnet Montana. Although no one has ever been there lol, and it is only several hundred acresI have my fingers crossed it may have some hunting opportunity. Turkeys, deer etc.

Is this area good wildlife habitat? I am in the process of trying to figure out the exact location and gettingdetailed maps. Any info would be appreciated as far as the hunting in this area. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2006, 09:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Anyone know about Winnet Montana?

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?addr=&csz=winnet%2C+mt&country =us&new=1&name=&qty=

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.aspx?t=2&s=14&x=219&y=1627&z =12&w=3&qs=%7cwinnet%7cmt%7c

Looks like its two hrs norht of Billings, otto be some mulies there.

Old 03-15-2006, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Uhhhhhh. Anywhere in MT is gonna be good for somethin'. That area is gonna be top notch antelope and bird country along with some mulies and whitetails possibly on the creekbottoms. You can still make the antelope permit deadline I believe. There should be adequate block management and maybe a little blm land there as well.

Why don't you build a cabin for all you HNI buddies
Old 03-16-2006, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tribal,

I am pretty familiar with the Winnet area. My uncle owned a big ranch outside of Winnet. I have visited it and my brother spent a good bit of time working over there. He still owns a big ranch down near the mussleshell and along the fort peck reservoir. The bull elk hunting there is WORLD CLASS, they took a 402 typical off of the land a few years back, along with many many other big bulls over 350. I have seen the bulls myself. Most of the land out there is private and belongs to big cattle ranchers..

The Rocky Mountain Elk foundation did a big article a few years ago about that area and the TWO CROW ranch..which is neighboring to my uncles place. All of this country is near the Winett area...Anyway, For elk, mule deer, whitetails in the river/creek bottoms and pronghorn..its all good from what I witnessed. The elk hunting is unbelieveable...
Old 03-16-2006, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

I've hunted around Winnett more times than I can count. That country really varies so depending on where it is it may be great or useless. South of Winnett is more flat farm country, but a few areas are thick with whitetails. North of Winnett you get into more breaks country with ponderosa/juniper brush country. There's more elk and mule deer in those areas. There is public land and access to private land, but the Missouri Breaks are no secret as a hunting destination and there's a lot of pressure. Elk hunting is by permit only for rifle and archery. The rifle permits are extremely difficult to draw (usually about 1:40), but there's some monster bulls in District 410. If your family has a couple hundred acres of irrigated farmland you probably have something special. If it's dry land it probably isn't anything special, or at least any more special than the rest of that country.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:54 AM

Passed through Winnett last October on my way from Jordan to Billings to head home from a hunting trip. Saw this guy just east of Winnet

Then I saw this guy just south of Winnett

Old 04-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info everyone, I am eager to see the land!