HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   West (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west-28/)
-   -   Need Advice On Antelope Hunt (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west/127549-need-advice-antelope-hunt.html)

Coastie John 01-03-2006 09:18 PM

Need Advice On Antelope Hunt

Here's the situation. I'm in Oregon sitting on 2 points for a goat hunt. I'm active duty militaryand will lose my residency status when I transfer back eastnext week. Oregons rules are to apply for hunts (or a pointsaver) you have to buy a hunting license first, then apply for the hunt (or just get the point). I can still get a resident license and point before next week ($27). The problem is I won't be ready to compete for a gooddraw unit for a few more years. So next year I'd have to buy a NR license at$76.50 and$4.50 for the pointsaver. That's a total of $81 each year till I accumulate enough points to be competitive for a particular unit. That could be about 4 years from now. It doesn't seem cost effective to commit to Oregon under their rule system.At 4 years that's $324, then if/when I do draw, the goat tag is currently $277. Ouch!!!!!

So my questions are:

1. Give up on Oregon? IMO having to buy a NR hunting license just to get a point ($81), thennot getting to hunt doesn't sit too well.

2. If I docut my losses with Oregon, what statesare not so harsh on the wallet?

3. What states have thehigher percentages ofdrawing tags?I've read some are 100% in certain areas. I'm not sure what to expect with that type of area though. Lots of flourescent orange dotsspeckled acrossthe horizon???

3. I'd prefer a DYI rifle hunt on public land or willing to pay a reasonable trespass fee for private land. I know the WY Wildlife folks put out a list of all the landowners that do trespass fees. Do any of the other states do that?

Thanks......John

huntnmuleys 01-04-2006 09:54 AM

RE: Need Advice On Antelope Hunt

i thought ya kept your home state residency when ya were in the service. my bros kept his in wyoming while in the army.

Coastie John 01-04-2006 09:54 PM

I'm not an Oregon resident (Florida). Most states will consider military members stationed in that particular state a resident. Inmany cases once you no longer live in that state, you're no longereligibile for resident status. Some stateswill allow you to get a resident (or military)license if your on leave for less than a certain number of days. Texas comes to mind.Each state has their own rules for the military folks. When I'm in Florida on leave I don't need a license as long as I have my leave papers on my person. You have to read the regs close.

John

ELKINMTCWB 01-04-2006 10:01 PM

Coastie John
Head for MT.It has a high draw ratio and there is tons of public land[NO fee] I live in helena MT and have never hade to hunt privet to kill a Goat. They are every where out east.I bow hunt them with 100% kills.With a rifle it should be even eazyer.

Email me if you need a unit number.
Charles Bradford

Coastie John 01-04-2006 11:00 PM

Thanks Charles. I'll definately keep you in mind.

BTW....my brother recently bought a house in SW Montana. I'm waiting for him to move there and get things figured out. We have a CG LORAN Station by Havre. I know some of the guys chase the animals around there. Same thing for Gillette, WY.

John

Z Boy 01-08-2006 08:32 PM

John, Check with OHA's (Oregon Hunters Assoc) websight. I remember seeing an article about them lobbying with ODFW to the senateto allow our active military to maintain points and resident status during deployment and military duty. Primarily for our troops in Iraq, but would also apply to you it would seem.
Thanks for your support.

filbinducks 01-09-2006 06:24 AM

Come shoot the goats in Wyoming. They are everywhere. I am just south of Gillette and they are as thick as rabbits.

Coastie John 01-11-2006 10:11 PM

Thanks Z-Boy,

I called the ODFW Licensing folks in Salem last week before I started the thread. No luck. I can buy a resident license and a point this year. Next year, if I want a pointI have to buy a $76.50 NR license first. The NRlicense fee is non-refundable. Grrrrrrr!!!! Hopefully one day Oregon will change their rules.

Filbinducks,

WY is also aconsideration. I picked up some good info from someone about theWheatland area. The Coast Guard has a unit just south of Gillette. It's a LORAN station. I spoke to one of the guys there a while backand they have a deal with one of the local ranches. I might look at that also.

Thanks.....John