West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Elk Packer!

Old 12-17-2005, 09:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default Elk Packer!

My brother and I are headed into Colorado for an archery Elk hunt this year.We are planning to hunt in the Rifle and Craig area.We will be off the beaten path a bit! Should we get lucky I was wondering if their are any fee based packers that would assist with a carry out. Or are we in for a few days of humping! I don't mind the work but if we are having warm weather time is of the essence. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-18-2005, 12:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Elk Packer!

Yeah, get in shape, real good shape! I hunted two elk seasons ans let me tell ya, these things need to consider hanging out in a flat field if they expect me to hunt them! Actually, they will be higher in the summer so you will have issue getting them out. I reccomend taking backstraps and tenderloin out first then go for the less choices of meat next. EJ
Old 01-01-2006, 01:31 PM

Default RE: Elk Packer!

NH306

I hunted Craig a few years ago, lots of animals. Hunted outside ofMeekerlast monthnear a town called Buford. There is alarge horse ranch called Subroso that rented horses for a reasonable rate in that area. We ran across a couple guys self guidedthat made arrangements somehow with the ranch to meet them at the trailhead with the horses. They packed themselves in. We arranged a drop camp, and our drop camp guide was using Subroso horses as well.
Anyway, point being, do some homework on any ranches in the area that will rent out their livestock for the season. Huntin season is big back there, this is not a unreasonable request and will save you a lot of work, while not hindering your hunting choice area.