HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   West (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west-28/)
-   -   80/20 resident/non-resident in quality units (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west/116012-80-20-resident-non-resident-quality-units.html)

dbcooper 10-08-2005 07:14 PM

80/20 resident/non-resident in quality units

The Wildlife Commission adopted a policy that will limit non-residents to 20% (down from 40%) of the tags in units requiring five or more resident preference points for deer, elk and antelope starting in 2006. The Reid bill gives them the authority to do it. My question is "What do you all think about it?"

kirkl 10-10-2005 10:20 AM

RE: 80/20 resident/non-resident in quality units

I wish people would quit whining about this, if i lived in a state like arizona where residents have to apply to hunt deer or elk then i would definatly want preference over non residents. If people dont like move to the state where you have more preference.

charlie brown 10-10-2005 11:02 AM

I still think that is too high!! Nevada used to be 95/5 or 90/10 until that lawsuit came in, then they opened up tags quite a bit for nonresidents!! I look at it this way. It takes a RESIDENT on average 10-15 years to draw a bull elk tag!! Some peopleNEVER draw and apply every year!! Sheep and goats, the average has got to be somewhere near 25 years or better, IF you EVER get one. I live 75 miles from the best elk country in the state, it took me 3 years of applying to draw a cow elk muzzleloader tag!! This year when they instated the nonresident cow hunts, nonresidents could draw the same tag in their first year!! Kinda makes me mad that I live here, pay taxes to the local economy, spend hours and hours driving these roads, know where a good majority of the animals are and still have to wait years to get a tag that a nonresident can get every year!! Didn't even draw a deer tag this year, just the elk, so all told, that elk tag cost me close to $400 (when you figure in all of the application fees, license, etc.).

Now, I am not complaining that it takes so long to draw, but I don't think non residents should have a better chance at drawing the same tag it takes me 3 years to get.

I actually like to hunt limited every year, it keeps the numbers of people down, and I don't get burned out on hunting. I only went on two hunts this year for big game. The other was to help a friend out on his antelope hunt (only tag he drew). Now I get to hunt small game and birds and fish all fall and if I don't feel like going out one day, its no big deal

cardeer 10-10-2005 06:01 PM

Interesting

Rebel Hog 10-10-2005 07:01 PM

You knowhow many Turkey Hunters from your state come to Fl, to complete a grand slam with the Oseola? Have you ever heard floridians complain?

Hey man, it is your state that is hurting you, not us. Your state wants that revenue generated from non-residents.

trapper T 10-10-2005 07:11 PM

I agree, quit whining..... most non residents who draw usually hunt on what? National Forrest? Well then I'm a resident of this NATION! If it's not on National forrest they probably do their homework and either get private land permission or go the outfitted route.

cherokee_outfitters 10-11-2005 06:30 AM

Colorado is thinking of dropping the % to 63% to 37%. Sure its national forest that most people hunt in Colorado. But go to texas and try to hunt public land or Kansas. Well in Kansas you won't even draw a buck tag in most areas, it is all doe draw in most areas. You want a buck tag you get to buy it from the land owner. The game in Colorado is regulated by the state. Not saying they are doing a great job of it but you can still today buy an over the counter bull tag.

Non-residents used to demand alot of tags. Now alot of them have either moved to Colorado or have a cabin here and are claiming residency and they buy resident tags and aren't residents. Even though my client income is from non-residents the residents that live in their state should have first option of hunting where they live first. You want a place to always hunt elk anytime you want during a rifle season keep Colorado a open state and fight for it.

What would happen if the goverment controlled state allotment for hunting. Tags would be outrageous and the draw system would be a nightmare. I still say we are better off with the individual state draws.

bullcan 10-11-2005 07:45 AM

I think the system is fair. It may be harder for me to draw out west, but with the number of states you can apply to you can hunt a quality unit every year. Plus I can hunt whitetails here in Michigan for $30 and that is for 2 tags. You cannot even apply for an elk tag in Michigan unless you are a resident. I think the people that live in the state should get preference.

Nemont 10-11-2005 10:29 AM

Bullcan,
Off Topic but how was your MT speedgoat hunt?

Nemont

Rebel Hog 10-11-2005 10:58 AM

ORIGINAL: bullcan

I think the system is fair. It may be harder for me to draw out west, but with the number of states you can apply to you can hunt a quality unit every year. Plus I can hunt whitetails here in Michigan for $30 and that is for 2 tags. You cannot even apply for an elk tag in Michigan unless you are a resident. I think the people that live in the state should get preference.

What are you doing to help the situation in your state?
How many letters and phonecalls or groups have you
formed to lobby this matter? Your state is racking in the
coins and don't care if you get a Tag or not!