Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Muley's in South Idaho (Boise area) >

Muley's in South Idaho (Boise area)

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Muley's in South Idaho (Boise area)

Old 10-12-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Muley's in South Idaho (Boise area)

Anyone got any pointers for hunting in South Idaho namely in and around Lucky Peak Reservoir? I understand that area is one of the better GMA's in Idaho for Mule deer. I'm a newbie and want to know what is the general tactic that you use hunt Mule deer.

Thanks

Mike
Old 10-15-2005, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Muley's in South Idaho (Boise area)

Welcome to the boards. The late hunt is pretty good above the city. If you don't have draw tag for the front, make sure that you go above the line for the general archery. That is the first and foremost tip. Cottonwood ranger station road is the dividing line. I would say that you will run into deer almost everywhere, especially if weather moves in early as it did last year. The hunt gets even hotter if the migration starts during the season. This hunt is getting more and more popular,, so you will probably see some people up ther. I like to take time off and hunt the middle of the week. There are no surefire tactics other than sitting on the travel routes, or spot and stalk. I like to locate the routes that the does have just passed through, and sit them right after the does moved through. The bucks will come. I would suggest being ready to take shots that are in the 40 yard range as the country is pretty open. I just noticed that you did not mention archery of rifle.

If you are hunting with the rifle, there are some OK areas for rifle, but the action really picks up Nov. 10th which is the start of the late archery season in 39. Good luck and be careful on the roads. The first drop off is a lu-lu................