HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   West (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west-28/)
-   -   Private Land Unit 16 Co. Needed (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west/104432-private-land-unit-16-co-needed.html)

Raj22 07-01-2005 01:48 PM

Private Land Unit 16 Co. Needed

We have a group of 6 planning an elk hunt for first season on private land in unit 16 Colorado. Our either sex tags came last week and this week we find out the land we were hunting has just sold and we can not hunt it. It was through a friend of a friend and we didn't have anything in writing. I know we can get refunds and buy over the counter tags for later seasons but we would like to use the tags we have if possible. Does anyone know where we could find a place to use our tags for a tresspass fee of around $500 each. Thanks,Eric

Blue Moose CO 07-05-2005 10:06 PM

RE: Private Land Unit 16 Co. Needed

Why are you paying $500 for a tresspass fee? You might want to check with the Colo. Division of Wildlife and ask them what the legal amount a land owner can charge for a tresspass fee. I believe it is only $100 per person.

Now there is a difference if the land owner is providing services. Then I think they can charge what ever they want.

BM

Raj22 07-06-2005 08:52 AM

Yes, he was providing tents, stoves, and other camp stuff. But I was not aware there was a maximum for a tresspass fee.

Blue Moose CO 07-06-2005 08:28 PM

There again, you should check with CDOW. If they are providing services, they might have to have an outtfitters permit. I know that if they take you hunting, they do have to have a guideing permit if they are charging you

BM.

Blue Moose CO 07-06-2005 10:47 PM

I stand corrected!!! I did some checking and the $100 trespass fee refers to a landowner that charges more than $100 for a trespass fee, thus loses their right to file any claimes against the state for game damages.

As for the landowner providing services, if they are doing so on their own land, then they can do so without an outfitters permit. But I still don't think they can "guide" you if they are charging a fee, or as the regs. say "compensation".

BM

GooseHunter Jr. 07-08-2005 11:31 AM

I hunt in unit 16, but not on private land all public! Were about in 16 are you looking to go??

Raj22 07-11-2005 07:15 AM

Anywhere, we have never hunted the area. The place we were going to hunt was about 20 SW of Walden from what I was told. We have a guy coming out from MN next week to look around and I am just trying to help him get started. When I say anywhere though, it would be nice if there were some elk on it. Thanks, Eric

GooseHunter Jr. 07-11-2005 11:17 AM

Let me do some checking there istanch that we pass on the way to our spot and I beleive they allow people on there for a price I am sure. Not too high in elevation but there are some good meadows? Give me a bit to get the ranches info for ya.

Raj22 07-12-2005 08:12 AM

Thanks for your time.Our main drawback we have is we need to find a place by Aug. 1st. That is the deadline to get refunds for our tags if we can not find a place to hunt. The people I have talked to have said its going to be a pretty tough order to fill. Private property that can accommodate that many hunters is already being hunted, or does not allow it. Eric

GooseHunter Jr. 07-12-2005 11:27 AM

I will get right on it....