HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   West (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west-28/)
-   -   utah hunters? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west/102920-utah-hunters.html)

liquidorange 06-14-2005 05:28 PM

utah hunters?

hello! was wondering what type of hunting is available in utah? my brothers c0- worker has some property and enjoys his skiing but is allowing my brother and i to do some hunting. what is it like as far as permits for non- residents . i will find out the area in which the propery is in in the next couple days but im not too familiar with the type of game in the state. are there pronghorn-elk-mullies-whitetail blacktail? also what about the possibility of seeing grizzlies or mouintain lion? excuse me for asking but im looking foward to planning a trip.

liquidorange 06-16-2005 04:29 PM

RE: utah hunters?

guess i will just have to take a ride out there from my native new jersey.

HuntElk4Fun 06-16-2005 05:25 PM

I live in North Ogden, Utah. About 30 miles north of Salt Lake City. Utah has awesome hunting, but mostly for draw permits. General seasons are limited on land vs limited entry permits. You can still find animals, but compared to neighboring states, limited entry is the way to go.

Primary animals are Elk and Mule Deer throughout the state. Some limited Antelope, Moose, Big Horn and Turkey hunts also exist. Black Bear and Mtn. Lion are also 2 very good hunts, but again kinda limited. No Grizzlies in Utah.

I live here and still leave to Idaho and Wyoming to chase big game animals. I put in for my Utah points and hunt the general areas, but it's frustrating compared to neighboring states.

Where the property is compared to the hunting unit is everything. It might be on a prime hunting unit, but might take 10-15 years to get enough points to draw it. Our family cabin sits in one of the best units for Elk in all of the West. We are talking 350-400 class bulls and we have endless pictures and video. Can we hunt them?? Sure.. when we eventually draw or die first! :D

HuntElk4Fun 06-16-2005 05:30 PM

Do you have the general area of the land or XY coords? I could probably tell you the opportunities if you do.

Judyboi 06-16-2005 06:58 PM

Hunt4Elk seems to have our home state's game covered. If it is in the North or North East unit for deer, an OTC tag shouldn't be out of the question. Elk you should have no trouble buying a tag for a bull, but if it is a limited entry you can buy a spike tag. Don't even dream of a LE elk tag for about 12-15 years....But on an any elk unit, expect to get lucky with a small raghorn.

liquidorange 06-18-2005 05:06 PM

i will know more this week. my brother forgot the name of the nearest town.if its hard hunting im good with that. just looking to get out west and hunt a bit. hopefully you can help some more when i found out the area.

liquidorange 06-29-2005 02:12 PM

my brother tells me its near ogden. still working on exact location. also was told something about my brothers co worker having the cabin being built on a mountainside and something about an elk preserve type area nearby as well as a state hunting area. im gonna try to get gps but any other ideas are welcome.

HuntElk4Fun 06-29-2005 06:37 PM

I live in North Ogden and it sounds to me like it's near either Deseret Land & Livestock or Hardware Ranch. Both are very large private land owners. Deseret is notorious for very large herds/animals and is probably the largest CWMU in the state. Still, knowing your up north here helps, but still is very broad as what kind of hunting opportunities you might have. Keep the info coming and we will lock it down.

147 Grain 07-15-2005 06:14 PM

HuntElk4Fun summed things up pretty well. I live about 15 minutes south of him in the Layton area.

Steve

usa 07-17-2005 06:48 PM

Any of you fella's familar with the Colton Utah area ? south of Colton west of the radio tower's ?