Colorado Rabbits >

Colorado Rabbits

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Colorado Rabbits

Old 05-26-2005, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default Colorado Rabbits

Anyone know of any good public or private land in CO for rabbit hunting? I keep hearing of overpopulation of rabbit on the eastern plains, but I can't seem to find anyone that really wants them gone. I guess I can't blame them, I'd be hesitant to let an unknown hunter on my land as well. We've been hunting the SWA's along the S. Platte, but have found few rabbits.

Let me know if you know of any good areas or desperate farmers who need the rabbits gone.

spud
Old 05-30-2005, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Colorado Rabbits

Colorado rabbit season dates: Oct. 1st- Feb. 28th!!
Old 05-31-2005, 11:24 PM
Fork Horn

Howler,

Understand. I always hunt 'in season'. I've been trying to get out and find a place to hunt because I missed last year. I'm trying to be proactive.

Spud
Old 06-03-2005, 04:30 PM
Typical Buck

South side of the Ark River next to Pueblo Reservoir is publick land for rabbits. Biguns too.
Stop at the park office off CO69 west of Pueblo and get the map as some park areas are closed to hunting.

I got 20# jacks in my yard alla time eating everything but I live in the no hunt area of the reservoir.

Good luck
Old 06-05-2005, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would think that in the "off" season, not during deer, antelope, and pheasant season, it would just be a matter of knocking on a few doors. I was out last weekend to shoot a few prairie dogs, and the town I was shooting was covered with jack and cottontail a like. More rabbits than I have seen in years past.
The further east you go from I-25, the easier it is to find access. Like I said though, go out when all the other seasons are not in full swing, knock on doors and ask! Don't be afraid of being told "NO", and eventually someone will tell you where to find them and let you on!
Every year I go out and knock a few "new" doors looking for places to call coyotes, and RARELY do I get turned down to hunt!
This is a good time of year to be looking, as the farmers and ranchers are between busy times as most ranchers are done calving and have thier cattle out to pasture and the farmers may be planting some fall crops and gearing up for harvest in a few weeks!
Old 06-06-2005, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

Howler & Silvertip,

Thanks for the input. I'll look into Pueblo Res as well as make some time to knock some doors.

Spud
Old 06-09-2005, 10:16 AM

i went to wilcot and i have been succesfull every year!!!!! so i would try wilcot or kremmling(OK for hunting rabbit)