HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   new lab pup (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/98-new-lab-pup.html)

aquaman2 01-01-2002 07:57 PM

new lab pup

I just got a 8 week old yellow lab pup. My question is when should I start working with her in the water? I dont want to wait too long but the water here is about 36 degrees and I don't really want to put her in that cold of water for fear of making her have a bad experience with it being that cold. How warm should I let the water get before I get started?

Quacker 01-01-2002 09:37 PM

RE: new lab pup

Aquaman all the dogs that I have ever had which has been a few I always let them tell me if they want to be in the water if u know what I mean! Use a lake bank right now with the pup if it only gets in to its belly which it probably only will it wont hurt it at all! Also let it walk around on ice if u have any down there a lot of dogs up here work great until they see ice then its all over! Use the dog in as many conditions that u can while training so it wont spook when hunting next year!All my dogs have even carried around bird wings when they were 8-10 weeks old just to get them use to feathers! Remember do anything u can! Good luck with the pup!

Ruddyduck 01-02-2002 05:24 PM

Personaly I'd wait until the spring now and warmer temperatures. Just don the waders and get in there with your youngsters. Two problems in a dog this young. One is a pup as young as this has a harder time regulateing body temp as an pup that's somewhat older. Second such early exposure to such cold water at this age can help bring on premature arthritus. Better to wait . There is plenty you can do with a young dog. Might I suggest "Training Your Retiever " by James Lamb Free

aquaman2 01-02-2002 11:40 PM

thank you guys for the info, I will be getting her used to retrieving during this time and I welcome any other suggestions

aquaman2 01-02-2002 11:47 PM

she is mostly an inside dog, which I don't think there is any problem with. She has already seen her first goose and drake mallard. A very obedient dog to say the least, it took only a day and a half to get her house broken, and she already knows the basic commands, stay, sit and come. I really lucked into her by way of the Kansas City Star. If anyone would like some info I can possibly give it to ya' She is a big dog though(mom is about 70 pounds) but I can post pictures if need be.

nascar88 01-03-2002 10:00 AM

aquaman, i also have a young yellow. the only prob i found with mine and the cold is they are light haired,and get cold fairly fast. deffinetly invest in a neo jacket for her. i bring a towel with when i hunt for any length of time to dry her out, it seems to help.
good luck with your new kid.

Trust me...i work for the Gov.
We will not bring those responsible to justice, we will bring them to thier knees