HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   New Duck Gun (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/88294-new-duck-gun.html)

KonaBoy 01-28-2005 09:29 AM

New Duck Gun

I'm looking for a new duck gun and these are my three options
-Benelli Nove 3 1/2inch $340
-Remington 870 3 1/2inch $376
-Mossberg 835 3 1/2inch $400

Any opinions are greatly appreaciated:)

SMEDLY 01-28-2005 09:48 AM

RE: New Duck Gun

I'M A TRUE REMINGTON FAN , WITH 2 870'S THEY ARE GREAT GUNS BUT I AM WORKING OUT A PATTERNING PROBLEM WITH LARGER STEEL SHOT. MIGHT HAVE TO ADD A NEW CHOKE TUBE. STUDY YOUR OPTIONS

waterfowl_hunter 01-28-2005 01:55 PM

I like Remingtons. I would go with the 870. Nothing ever goes wrong with it. Just keep it clean, I had rust on mine because of harsh conditions I hunted in. But I got it off. But I like Remington so thats my vote.

80 proof 01-28-2005 04:01 PM

IM a remington man but i have shot all three, so you know what my vote is.

If you do not have the option of shooting them all, go with the one that fits the most natural.

johnch 01-28-2005 04:56 PM

I have shot the Nova and have the 870 and 835 .
I hunt with the 870 .
The 835 is good but it feels cluncky after I shoot the 870.
IMO the 870 supermag syn stocked gun is hard to beat

steelshots 01-28-2005 05:17 PM

Both the Remington and the Nova are excellent guns. I own an 870 and a Nova. It really is going to depend on what you feel more comfortable with. Take a look at some of the specs of the gun:

Remington = 1 choke tube included; Nova = 3 choke tubes included
Remington = no magazine cut off; Nova = has a built in magazine cut off
Recoil - The Nova allows you to insert a recoil reducer (bracket+mercury insert) for about $60-70

Again, the most important thing you can go with is what feels the best since each gun is reliable.

plainsman 01-28-2005 06:15 PM

Remingtons quality has seriously declined over the last 10 yr....many guns leaving the factory with rough barrels=poor patterns. Polishing the forcing cone will help, but why should you have to do this with a new gun??????????
Nova's are good guns, but customer service is the worst. Benelli cares about your chequebook not you.
Mossberg has a 10 yr war. and puts out great patterns.....it'd be my choice of the 3

Carpmaster 01-28-2005 08:12 PM

IMO i would base my decision on which gun feels the best to you personally, you have to shoot it!!!!

waylonh 01-29-2005 07:29 PM

You will be seriously dissapointed if you don't go with the NOVA. I have several guns, including the New Super Black Eagle II, and I sometimes have a hard time choosing between the Nova and the SBE, in which gun to take out. I think the Nova is the best gun made for the price. You can drop it, scar it, let it rust, and loose it............and you're only out aprox 300.00

You can get a black synthetic for 290.00. Also, if you live by a Dicks Sporting goods, they run awesome sales. I bought mine there for 275.00.

kycommander 02-02-2005 11:30 AM

i personally own all three guns and have hunted with all three guns. and while they're all good guns i would recommend the 835 without question. i shoot at least a case and a half of shells through one in a season and haven't have an ounce of trouble. it might not be the prettiest or biggest brand name but it works and that's what matters to me.

best of luck in your decision