Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

someone's in MY blind

Old 11-29-2004, 10:47 AM

Default RE: someone's in MY blind

I actually had a situation a few years back where I had leased some land, set up a blind, and was all ready to go. A fellow walked into my decoys, put a laydown blind in place and settled in. I called in a bunch of snows and they came right in on top of him and I waited for him to pop up and shoot. He took two on the wing. Got up, picked up his geese, picked up his laydown and headed back out of the decoys. I finished hunting that morning and went back to town to get something to eat and found him setting in the cafe. He came over to the table and told me that he had hunted that place for 30 years and had just recently returned from a overseas and wanted to hunt it one more time before he quit hunting. I asked him to join me in the blind for the afternoon as I expected both ducks and Canadians to come in since the wind had shifted and it was snowing. He came out and joined me. He jump shot everthing that came by-I never got a single shot off. Biggest jerk I ever met but that said I laughed heartily when he asked if he could come back the next day. Told him that I believed one day with an a.. was about all I could handle and that I didn't believe I was interested. Never saw him again.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

How about you go to your truck and get a automatic machine gun ( ya know a common duck hunting gun!) and wipe him out!
Old 11-29-2004, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sort of a "weird" question, but what makes a blind "yours"? Seriously. Where I hunt with my two boys last year and this year, there are several old blinds that appear to never be used, the wood is borderline rotten, they are never coverred in material or natural camo and I have never seen anyone in any of them except 1. In fact several years ago, before kids, I use to hunt here with a friend and the blinds where there then and never seemed occupied.

This year, the last two times, my sons and I have "adopted" one of the blinds and had good luck. It seems to have never been used and the wood is about to fall apart. We plan on "fixing it up" this spring and using it next fall.

What about a blind marks it as "in use" or "owned" and does this "expire" after some period of unuse?

thanks

--Bob
Old 11-30-2004, 08:30 AM

blind ownership depends primarily weather it's on private or public land and the laws regulating waterfowl hunting in your state. if it's on private land your usually trespassing if you pass the high tide water line and thus can't use the blind if it's on shore, if it's an offshore blind off private land it is in my opinion it's rude to use it.

if the blind is on/off shore on public land in a state that does not require the registration of blinds than in my opinion you could use it but be nice if the guy who built it shows up to hunt it.

in maryland all blind locations on/off shore have to be registered with the state. landowners or designees have first dibs to register their shoreline then it's opened up to the public on a first come first serve basis, no blinds are registered that are closer than 250 yards from each other, and it's a crime to hunt waterfowl anywhere other than your registered blind spot or private shoreline without written permission of the landowner or public guy who registered the site.

the dnr will remove and ticket someone hunting out of a blind location that is not registerd or they do not have permission to use.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:08 AM

hahaah i was in ur blind bu hhaahha with my green jeans on and purple shirt
Old 12-02-2004, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Ohio it's against the law to build a permant blind on public land . Maybe to keep some petty people from claiming a blind or pothole as thier own
Old 12-05-2004, 01:08 AM

If you are hunting public land first come first serve.If you were on Private land then Id say you have every reason to be pissed. But on Public he has as much right to use your blind as you do. That is the breaks of hunting Public. Get there earlier if you want that spot.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:15 AM

i think everyone that has hunted waterfowl for anytime at all has been in that type of situation .... it really gets to me tho when ya are set-up and sumbody comes in and sets up on top of ya ..... have had that many of times .... the two times that stand out the most tho are ..... set my dekes and ran to the store ... had lost my lighter while settin up ..... came back and guys were settin their blinds up over my decoys .... i bout s--t ..... when they saw me walkin down over the bank they grabbed their gear and jumped in their boat ...... other time we were set up on a nearby river for an afternoon hunt .... boat motors passed us and to my surprise they start tossin out decoys not 60 yrds away ..... called every bird from em .... but here is the kicker ..... they pull their gear up and swing up river (downwind) and start crackin birds as we worked em .... lol ...... at first i laughed so hard i was crying .... even hollaring over to em good shot A--H--E ...... but after awhile it got old .... started loadin up into the boat and they hauled A-S ...... those are the days ya wished ya had a camcorder on hand .... but anyhow .... guys i know when the birds get slim pickins its easy to get VERY upset at people movin in on ya ... but ya gonna have that no matter what unless ya hunt private property .... just get used to it and have plenty of back-up holes to hunt .......(either that or boobytrap the blinds ) lol ..... good luck
Old 12-08-2004, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

Get you a very loud boom box and crank it up until they leave. Hard core rap works best.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:50 PM

jroot, great answer, you sound like a complete dork I can just picture the blind conversation now, I bet you're a real entertainer

Quick Reply: someone's in MY blind

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.