Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Run in with a Conservation Officer >

Run in with a Conservation Officer

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Run in with a Conservation Officer

Old 11-05-2004, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default Run in with a Conservation Officer

A friend of mine just returned from up North, won't mention the state and ended up paying a fine. He had a limit of ducks in marinade (in a cooler) to cook up for lunch in the field and when he returned to his truck the CO was waiting for him. Long story short he ended up getting fined for not having a wing attached for identification. Just FYI.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Run in with a Conservation Officer

That really sucks, at that point they should have been considered food, i mean come on do we have to cook with the wing attatched????? I dont think so!!! I do not eat feathers!!!
Old 11-06-2004, 01:07 PM

Not being an ass here, but, maybe we didn't get the whole story.

As per CR-50-20
20-40 daily bag limits
20-35 feild posseion limits
20-36 tagging requirements
20-39 terminatin of possession
20-40 gift of migratory game birds

Letter of the law: if you left the birds, as the story states, it would be a violation.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

DHF:KYLEN, I'm not sure what your are implying. The whole story is that my friend shot a limit of ducks, took then back to the hotel where they were cleaned and put into marinade. Before heading out in the morning the breast's were put into a cooler (on ice) to be cooked in the field after the morning hunt. End of whole story.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:43 AM

Okay, look. I'm not trying to start a fight or anything, just pointing to the regs as per the story.

As per the "tagging" and "feild possesion" requirements if your friend left the birds in the cooler while out hunting then by definition it's a violation.

I'm with you, it sucks, but, if the officer is the type that goes solely by the book there's not much you can do.

Without knowing what reg/article was quoted on the ticket it's just a guess. A C.O. might not have given your buddy a ticket if he had properly tagged the bag.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:39 PM

Your buddy got a raw deal and I believe he could fight it. A similar situation happened to me last year. I shot a limit of birds, cleaned them at home, put meat in freezer and put bag of carcasses in bag in the back of my truck for disposal elsewhere. Next morning I am checked by two FEDERAL wardens. I have shot five of six at that time. They inquire about the bag of ducks and ask me to accompany them to my truck to check them. Warden opens bag, sees that carcasses are cold and breasts are gone. He asks where breasts are. I tell him at home in the freezer. He tells me, and his partner agreed, that as long as I did not have the breast and the carcass both in the truck I was fine. If the birds had been whole, I would have been in trouble.

On another out of town trip right after that, state game warden checks us on day two with a limit of fresh birds and another limit breasted in the cooler. Same story, to him it was obvious that the cooler birds were shot the day before. He said the same thing as the Feds had said.

This would not apply however if it was opening day.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:30 PM

yeah sounds to me ya buddy got a bum rap .... just ran into the wrong officer .... or the wrong officer ran into him .... lol .....either way i think that the whole possesion limit is kinda lame to begin with .... lets face it ... on average hunters hunt at least twice a week .... with me hunting as much as i can and i know alot of others on here do the same ... now if we can only have 2 days limits of birds in our freezer what are we supposed to do with the rest of the birds we are killing ??? i clean and give ALOT of birds away ......and cook out with friends alot so my birds are always being used ... but i know guys that still have game from last year in their freezers (bet they will taste great if they are ever cooked up ... lol ) .... point being is .... we buy our license, pay our taxes on gear, gas, etc .... with alot of that $$$ going towards refuges and state land (which most we cant hunt) ...... and we STILL get ridiculous regulations like this one .... i understand that they are trying to keep people from killin huge amounts of birds, over daily limits, etc but lets face it ..... the outlaws will be outlaws no matter what .... not like just another regulation is going to stop them if they are already breakin the law