Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Goose decoys

Old 10-20-2004, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default Goose decoys

Hey guys i'm new to the site i'm 15 and this is my first year of hunting. I was at cabelas and saw the prices of their canada goose decoys they were terrible. I'd like to goose hunt but i don't have enough money to spend on decoys. some was close to $100 for a set of about 4 or 6. I was wonderin if theres an alternitive to buying them, like making them.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Goose decoys

I made some sillouthes (sp?) out of 1/4 inch plywood. Got a pattern out of a decoy book. They're pretty basic but got a few geese to come into them. Let us know what you do.

Hope I helped,

KonaBoy
Old 10-20-2004, 05:23 PM

For snow geese some people use old white T shirts but if you are trying to hunt Canadas then I think it would be difficult to make decoys. One thing you can do is check websites for used silouhette decoys, they run much cheaper and can be just as effective as shells in some situations.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Start with some shells then work your way up it will take a while but watch sales, auctions, etc, but i started goose hunting with 5 shells and killed birds, now i have a group of buddies with whom we all contribute and share dekes. We have about 75 now.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:42 PM

those decoys that u were looking at are BIG FOOTS, the best goose decoy on the market, total my friends got close to 125 of them, they work great but like you said you are young and have no money for that much, good luck tring to find some used dekes and good luck hunting
Old 10-21-2004, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

how many do i need? also i don't have a blind set-up
Old 10-24-2004, 04:52 AM

the herters foam in the cabelas book are awesome we pulled one goose out of a flock of hundreds came in landed swam up to the decoys went behind them and stayed there till i yelled so i could shoot him and he was at least a 4 ft wingspan but no band
Old 10-24-2004, 08:25 PM

In your position, I'd buy GHG shells.....they look great and are very affordable
Old 10-25-2004, 07:26 PM
Typical Buck

If you have a Fleet Farm in your area they have some floating remington decoys for about 10 bucks a piece. the heads don't swivel or anything, but I think they look pretty good.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:28 AM

You can buy texas rag decoys very cheap. Make your own heads in different positions using plywood, partical board, corregated plastic etc.....

You get about 100 of the rags for about 25 bucks. They work well if used right and will get you by until you can save up for the others.

Quick Reply: Goose decoys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.