Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Home built duck boats and camo job >

Home built duck boats and camo job

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Home built duck boats and camo job

Old 10-20-2004, 01:36 PM

Default Home built duck boats and camo job

Here's a link to my homebuilt duck boat, and my attempt at camo. I live in the extreme southern part of Florida and hunt the Everglades. Any of you all on this site build your own duck boat? Carve your own decoys? Just asking.[&:]What you see (vs) What a duck sees
Old 10-20-2004, 08:37 PM

Default RE: Home built duck boats and camo job

Not to bad i hunt with the Quackgrass and it works great. i hunt out of a 18ft boat ill get a pic of my new boat as soon as i get it done i have about 4-5 hours more to finish on it then ill see if you can hang with me
Old 10-21-2004, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

My buddies and I just built our first duck boat. We used a wide beam 14" bluefin v bottom for the boat. For blind frame we used 2x2's and firring strips ( I work part time at a lumber yard). Blind material was avery 4x4 grass mat sheets and military netting and an assortment of tagalders and other brush. For paint we used cabelas marine duck boat base paint and ultra flat hunting spray paint from wal mart. I think it looks great but isnt the greatest boat to transport but we get along with it and it does the job for what little funds we had to work with.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:27 PM

I'm guessing that you boys don't like my boat with the face, ([:@]). It was home built and cost me $700.00 dollars.

Oh well, just thought I'd ask, kinda testing the waters on this site, and becuase I like building the boats with my kids and was wondering if any of you all had done the same. Here's a shot of my kids in a layout boat that they built with me for grandfather. It's called the "Kara Hummer" total cost out the door was $300.00.

ncduckhunter I didn't mean it as a challenge, was just asking. Sorry to bother you boys.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:29 PM

great looking boats, i have no question you'll be blasting them this year. i only wish i had the talent to build my own boat ...great job!!
Old 10-21-2004, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

Well, I've never made my own boat, I do hunt with calls that I made (my father-in-law and myself are in the call business, the website's in my signature). We do hunt with some hand carved deke's too but most are plastic, they are cheaper and lighter, but the handcarved deke's do look great, it's just tough when you use 20 doz. decoys to use hand carved deke's...We also just put in a duck blind we made last weekend.... I'll see if the blind picture's came out and post some of those and the decoy pics too if anyone's interested.

So yeah, at least some of us around here do that kind of stuff...by the way nice lookin' boat...did you buy the plans or make your own? Pretty sharp either way.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

I like it. Looks very nice. Building it yourself and/or with your kids makes it that much better. Don't misinterpret the smiley faces. The guys around this site seem like a good bunch.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:47 PM

Wow, I am really impressed. I don't know anyone that has built there own boat, didn't realize people still did. How much do these things weigh? My brother started making his own cork decoys and I'm looking to start doing the same but never thought of building a boat.

My Dad talks about a boat that him and his buddies built back in the day out of 2 car hoods. He said it worked but I bet your boats look alot nicer!
Old 10-22-2004, 08:48 PM

Very nice!
I made a boat 6 years ago. I made mine 12' long and 5' wide. I made my own blind from 1x2's and camo netting. It is a very stable shooting platform. It will hold 3 people and a dog. A trolling motor is all I need to motor it around the marsh. I will post some pics if anyone wants to see it?
Old 10-23-2004, 08:28 AM

I got the prints off the internet after some searching. Built with this in mind. One was to be the tender and the other was to be the layout. Turns out that they both work as layouts. It was alot of fun. From there we went into carving our own decoys. Got a ways to go on those. Lot of steps envolved in them, then the painting starts. Found out the hard way that painting is an art form all itself.

As far as the boats, the Kara weighs about 150lbs and the Duck Hunter about 180 to 200. Just guessing

We only started duck hunting is 2003, but told my sons that if we were to do it, duck hunting, we do it all the way.

For those of you that have built there own boats,dec's, blinds, calls. etc. I'd like to see them. Always looking for my next project.

Quick Reply: Home built duck boats and camo job

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.