Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Mounted Duck

Old 10-13-2004, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mounted Duck

What would you rather have mounted:
A drake pintail
A drake woodie
A drake mallard

Just wondering
Old 10-13-2004, 03:46 PM

Default RE: Mounted Duck

A drake pintail.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:17 PM

drake woodie for sure that duck has eluded me for years . i find honey holes full of wood ducks before season time season opens nothing but dust left . i ever get a wood duck it is going on the wall !!!
Old 10-13-2004, 05:17 PM

Pintail for sure, I suppose it really makes a difference where you live. Woodies and Mallards are pretty plentiful here but I have never shot (or seen) a mature drake Pintail.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:33 PM
Fork Horn

Get one of each

I still regret not mounting my first bull sprig, I've got his feather still, it's in a shadow box...but I wished I would have had him mounted. I generally will try to mount a duck if there is a story behind it, otherwise it's gonna be dinner. Right now my taxidermist has the first Mallard my Dad ever shot, along with the first one that my Dad ever saw me shoot (they came in paired up as pretty as you please no more than 10 yards in front of the blind, 2 shots two greenheads). Heck if I killed a spoonie with a good story I'd probably get it mounted...to me it's not about the duck it's about the hunt.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:23 PM
Fork Horn

A nice drake pintail would to about as nice of a trophy waterfowl mount I can imagine.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

All three would be nice!!! The only duck I have, which is the first of the only two ducks I've shot is on my wall. It's a Drake Bufflehead.

If I HAVE to choose one of them, I'd like a woodie. Really a toss up between the woodie and the pintail though
Old 10-16-2004, 10:31 PM
Fork Horn

pintail for sure
Old 10-19-2004, 08:42 PM

I would have to say a Drake Pintail because all i ever kill is woodies and mallards i have only ever seen 2 flocks of pintails and the total # of Birds was 10-12 so as you can see a pintail is very rare here in NC where i hunt
Old 10-19-2004, 10:58 PM
Typical Buck

I would have to say the wood duck is the best looking drake out of the 3 choices, but I wouldn't mind a mount of all 3. I plan to accumulate all the mounts I can over the years to come

Quick Reply: Mounted Duck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.